Trusted Contributor

Re: Dog Tear Stains on White Puppy

@gtx  Thank you so much!!!  I've not heard of this product.  

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@12andcounting 

I learned with my Maltese,that too much protien can cause it. I stopped a lot of it,like removing the peas in his canned dog food,ect and he never had tear stains again.

Also, make sure you clean (wipe with a damp soft cloth) his eyes daily and that no hair is in his eyes.Many times it is those little hairs in the corner that cause tearing.

I hope that helps a bit.

Sadly I recently suddenly  lost my precious Maltie  Smiley Sad  

@MalteseMomma  I am so deeply sorry for your loss.  I appreciate your suggestions so much.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@12andcounting 

I learned with my Maltese,that too much protien can cause it. I stopped a lot of it,like removing the peas in his canned dog food,ect and he never had tear stains again.

Also, make sure you clean (wipe with a damp soft cloth) his eyes daily and that no hair is in his eyes.Many times it is those little hairs in the corner that cause tearing.

I hope that helps a bit.

@MalteseMomma ,  I just saw your post...im sooooo sorry to hear about your loss.   I remember talking with you about my Maltese,  Teaspoon.    What happened??

Respected Contributor

@12andcounting , I have a Maltese,  and I got the tear stains under control,  by reading ingredients in foods and treats that contain dyes...you may see ingredients that say red, or yellow.   I also don't give colorful treats, as they have dyes or coloring in them.   I found stopping those foods eliminated the stains.  I also keep the hair closely trimmed around the eyes.   Unfortunately, my Maltese is 16 yrs now with health issues, so her diet is restricted...I can't be too selective,  so I just keep trimming the hair and wiping her eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

As far as I knew he was healthy.He ate good .slept well.pooped great ,played ,everything was perfectly normal with him.He was only 9.

Early one morning he was in the kitchen and didn't get up.Unusual because he always slept with me, he never left my side.

i panicked,don't remember why,sort of blocked it out.I rushed him to the vet.Vet said he was ,"listless" and took xrays (i couldn't go in with him) and told me he was FULL of CANCER!!! ...and to get another opinion.

I couldn't believe it! He was just fine all the time.So I came home,thought about it and deceided NOT to do anything ,to wait and see what happens.He went outside to play,ect.  and everythnig was fine.

Later on I made him chicken ,he ate it and threw it up whole and didn't look good.So again I paniced and got an appointment with an ER vet for the first thing next morning.

Again I couldn't go in with him.They took him from my arms and that was the last I ever saw of him again. By phone as I sat in the taxi outside ,the vet told me he was totally full of cancer,nothing could be done and did not advise any treatment but to let him go without suffering . She said she filled a needle with blood from his tummy. So they sent him to Rainbow Bridge,right then and there without me comforting him  or him me and I never saw him again ,untill i received his little casket ,paw print and his sweater back the next week. It was too sudden and heartbreaking.I just will never understand what happened and how he could have been ,"FULL of CANCE" and not have one sick day,or show  any sign of  illness.

My Cozi was my soul dog.I have never been without a dog in my life and now I'm too old and sick  to get another one.I am heartbroken. Three days before this happened ,I off handedly was  just "talking to God" and said ,"maybe you should take Cozi before me because he and I have never been apart and he would miss me terribly" then I quickly said ,"Oh ,no God!  I did not mean that" , and quickly  made a cross on his little head.

I am totally  lost without him.He was my life  <3

Thank you for asking...............

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma  This is just heartbreaking.  I am so, so sorry.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma , thank you for responding.   Again I'm very sorry to hear.  I can totally relate to your shock  hearing sudden bad news.  It happened to me with my dog of 7 yrs old...just stopped eating...I felt very enlarged lymph glands, and took her to the vet on Monday morning...she was diagnosed with lymphoma and passed that Friday.   Sorry and sad for you 😞

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@MalteseMomma  My heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry  for the loss of your precious baby. I have been there before and understand the grief all to well. Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

I'm so very sorry for your sudden  loss too .

Valued Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@12andcounting 

I hope that helps a bit.

I'm So sorry!!!!!!! Woman SadHeart