Trusted Contributor

Dog Tear Stains on White Puppy

We have a white Schnoodle and she gets tear stains pretty badly.  I feel like we have tried so many things to reduce the staining, but to no avail.

Has anyone here found a product that really does remove or at least reduce tear stains?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Tear Stains on White Puppy

@12andcounting 

Okay, I have NO first hand knowledge of this....but just last week, I was reading reviews for Powdered Buttermilk on Amz...and one reviewer said they were only buying it because they were told to add it to their dog's food for tear stains....and that it absolutely worked.

You'd have to research, but I thought it was interesting when I read it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used a product called Veterecyn. I think they changed the name to Purecyn and there is one called Therecyn. They kill bacteria and don't burn at all. We used these on our white Pomeranian. It took care of the tear stains.We got it at the feed store in our area.

I just sprayed some on a cotton ball and cleaned his eyes. No burning.

Honored Contributor

we have a bichon and the thing that helped the best was changing his dry food and wet food. we use WHOLE EARTH......it is grain free and made a huge difference. no corn, no wheat, no soy, no by-products, no artificial colors, and no artificial preservatives.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

We have a white Schnoodle and she gets tear stains pretty badly.  I feel like we have tried so many things to reduce the staining, but to no avail.

Has anyone here found a product that really does remove or at least reduce tear stains?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

In the pet section of your store or in a pet store there are products for tear stains.

My aunt uses laundry bluing on her poodle.   It's supposed to be non toxic

bluing.jpeg

Honored Contributor

AKC has some suggestions.

Dog Tear Stains: How to Prevent Them (akc.org)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@12andcounting 

I learned with my Maltese,that too much protien can cause it. I stopped a lot of it,like removing the peas in his canned dog food,ect and he never had tear stains again.

Also, make sure you clean (wipe with a damp soft cloth) his eyes daily and that no hair is in his eyes.Many times it is those little hairs in the corner that cause tearing.

I hope that helps a bit.

Sadly I recently suddenly  lost my precious Maltie  Smiley Sad  

Esteemed Contributor

My little guy was pretty laid back and I could use water on cotton every morning.  He also allowed a close trim.  It did look better.

Trusted Contributor

All dogs are different, but distilled water has helped the staining with my maltipoo.  Just I have to use only distilled water or they come back.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@12andcounting 

Okay, I have NO first hand knowledge of this....but just last week, I was reading reviews for Powdered Buttermilk on Amz...and one reviewer said they were only buying it because they were told to add it to their dog's food for tear stains....and that it absolutely worked.

You'd have to research, but I thought it was interesting when I read it.

@RespectLife   Thank you so much.  I will definitely check this out!!