Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I have GSD's but occasionally the male will have a fur knot in between his nails. It's deep into the pads. I think it's caused by the wet/dry,, etc. I use manicure scissors to cut the knot out and he's fine. Sometimes they will break a nail off playing ball, etc. Other times they will step on something (just like people) and it hits a tender spot. It can be so puzzeling to figure out what/why. I always check the entire leg and watch for a reaction to see if it's a pulled muscle or where the pain starts/ stops. If he is still limping (depending on how slight or heavy) after a while then I'm in the car to the vet's. My usual "sign" of how bad it is if he lays down in his kennel. If he doesn't want to jump on the old furniture then it's serious. If not, then he's going to be fine. That's our system that works for our dogs. 

I looked at his paw. There doesn't seem to be anything foreign. Yesterday he would pull his paw away when I reached for it. Today he doesn't seem to mind that I am touching it.

And I had to laugh when I read about your dog liking to jump on furniture. Our dog (before we got him) must have not spent anytime in a house. He has never tried to jump on any furniture. And we have never been able to have him play with a ball or stick. We got toys for him when we first adopted him. They are still in pristine condition. He has never touched or played with them, in the 6 years we have had him.

He seems to be putting weight on the leg today. But he also seems to be a bit "stiff". So I am massaging his legs and back.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dog Limping

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla.  Is this your collie?

Yes, Kachina, it is our collie.

And I was just thinking, he had so many problems when we first got him. The poor guy. He always tests positive for Lyme Disease. In fact the last time he was tested (October) the lab tech went a bit vocal about the results.

I am wondering if he is experiencing a combination of old age, his nail and the Lyme Disease.

Bless his heart...can they give him anything for the Lyme??? 

https://www.avma.org/resources/pet-owners/petcare/lyme-disease-pet-owners-guide

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@emmysmom wrote:

My dog acted like he was hurting not too long ago! It seemed he was having trouble getting up on the bed!! I was worried I'd have to take him to the vet! Have you ever tried Rescue Remedy for pets? Its amazing...I rubbed some on his back and he seemed fine the next morning! When our pets have problems, its just like when our kids were small and they couldn't tell us what was wrong..! Glad your baby is feeling better! 

Thanks for the recomendation. My husband has bought just about every pet remedy on the market. I can't keep up with all he has bought.  I will look through the boxes and see if he bought Rescue Remedy. I would like to try it.

@drizzellla   I tried Rescue Remedy many years ago.  You are not supposed to rub it on them.  You either put four drops in water and let them drink it or put four drops on their tongue.  It did nothing for my dogs though.  You absolutely aren't supposed to rub it on them though.  Also, it's for emotional or behavioral problems, not limping.  Go to onlynaturalpet dot com and read about it.  Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy is the most well known brand name of it.

I have the cream form of the RR...thats what I used on Biscotti~ I also have the drops...haven't tried them yet~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla.  Is this your collie?

Yes, Kachina, it is our collie.

And I was just thinking, he had so many problems when we first got him. The poor guy. He always tests positive for Lyme Disease. In fact the last time he was tested (October) the lab tech went a bit vocal about the results.

I am wondering if he is experiencing a combination of old age, his nail and the Lyme Disease.

Bless his heart...can they give him anything for the Lyme??? I bet thats the problem~

https://www.avma.org/resources/pet-owners/petcare/lyme-disease-pet-owners-guide

When we first got him we were giving him mega dosage of antibiotics for the Lyme Disease. The poor dog was treated for all his other maladies at the same time (allergic to fleas, ear infection, teeth trouble from trying to chew out of cage, lost half his fur from biting at fleas and never had any vaccines). Well with all the drugs and vaccines the dog went into convulsions.

So we took the dog to our Vet (not the original Vet that treated him, all at once). And they told us to stop the mega dose antibiotics. It was just too much for the dog to handle. He got about a week of the antibiotics. He will always test positive for Lyme. And we never would know when the dog got Lyme Disease. He might have had it for years before we got him.

That is why my husband liked to take him for long walks everyday. To make sure his muscles stayed in shape.

Esteemed Contributor

At 12 years old there are many things that could be going on and many things that can be done to make him more comfortable.  May need to talk to the vet about pain management.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

My sons little yorkie is doing the same thing. 

He took her to the vet and the vet found nothing wrong. ($800)

She is still holding up the paw and not walking around much.

We can rub it, manulipulate it,everything..

We are thinking she likes the attention........lol

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   Your son's Yorkie wouldn't be holding up his paw because he likes attention.  There is something wrong, and the Vet didn't find it.  How long has this been going on?  What in the world did the Vet do for $800?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

I know he isn't doing it for attention...lol  I was jokeing

The vet took xrays and found nothing,but he may have missed something.

I think he is going back for another check 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

Hope your Guy gets better.

Our Labrador Love, who lived to be 14 had a torn ACL when he was < 1yr.  He healed without surgery, or a limp (patting myself on the back).

But in his elder years, he developed arthritis in that knee.  He had Acupuncture every 6 - 8 weeks a year for several years.  I have no experience in it myself, but HE said it worked.  He would be limping when we went in, and walking normally for his age when we left.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@drizzellla 

Hope your Guy gets better.

Our Labrador Love, who lived to be 14 had a torn ACL when he was < 1yr.  He healed without surgery, or a limp (patting myself on the back).

But in his elder years, he developed arthritis in that knee.  He had Acupuncture every 6 - 8 weeks a year for several years.  I have no experience in it myself, but HE said it worked.  He would be limping when we went in, and walking normally for his age when we left.

Thank you, and yes he is doing just fine - until yesterday morning. It snowed and he was so happy to walk around in the snow. And so the dog had all this snow stuck on his paws. He of course did not want to come inside. He would rather hobble around with all this snow stuck to his paws. I finally did get him inside. It was amazing as soon as he walked on the carpet all the snow balls that were stuck to his fur just came off. And he was ready to go back outside and play some more in the snow.