Honored Contributor

Dog Leash that Shocks & Chokes (cross posted from community chat)

THIS ITEM WAS POSTED IN COMMUNITY CHAT BY DARING GREATLY.

I witnessed an elderly neighbor with her beautiful dog yesterday.  The dog is on a leash, kept very close to her side.  When another dog and owner walked by her dog started to bark, but then it looked like she pressed a button on the leash and he got a shock or something and was choking!

It happened again as the dog started to bark, all of a sudden, he is gagging, shaking his head and quiets down when she says no.   Another neighbor I confided in said she knows she has a collar that shocks the dog to not bark or act up.

Have any of you heard of such a thing for discipline?   The dog is just being a dog, wanting to interact with other dogs.   I know this woman took him to obedience school, I just can't imagine them using such devices.

I had to run inside after witnessing this dog gagging after trying to bark. It made me sick to my stomach.   Both the other neighbor and I agree that this woman has a controlling personality, where she always has to be right and knows everything.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Leash that Shocks & Chokes (cross posted from community chat)

I have seen these shock collars in use.  I would not use one on my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels or any other dog that I might have.

I suppose they do work, but I would think that they are painful for the dogs Most of these collars give off a warning sound before they shock.  Most dogs learn to respond to the warning signal and a shock is not needed.

I carry a little water bottle with me on walks.  If my dogs start to bark or pull and refuse to obey, I just show them the bottle and give them a command to be quiet or stop pulling.  It works and I no longer need to squirt them. 

Some people should not own dogs. 

Frequent Contributor

That sounds very hurtful to the dog.   What I use is a can of compressed air called Pet Corrector.  It just lets our a loud sound.  I have three dogs, but one gets the others acting up.   At times if she just sees the can in my hand she stops barking.  

Trusted Contributor

The dog was definitely in pain.  He was trying to bark but you could tell he was choking and gagging.    It was so hard to hear and watch.

Esteemed Contributor

I have said it before and I will say it again, anyone who uses any of these "correction devices" is not training the dog. It is abuse. Positive reinforcement training teaches appropiate behaviors while building a great relationship.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

ugh, I wish I wouldn't have read this thread. This is not the correct or humane way to train your dog. Makes me so sad.

Super Contributor

I can understand when one has to resort to more serious and painful actions.  One of my neighbors abandoned a Great Prynees puppy so I took her in.  She got along well with my other dogs......until she went into her first heat.  I should have had her fixed before she went into heat but I didn't know how old she was and didn't keep track.  After her heat she became an attack dog.  And she always attacks my old and sick chihuahua or my other shy female.  She did a lot of harm to all my animals and a lot of harm to me as I have been in the middle of these attacks trying to save my other dogs.  She doesn't attack me - only other dogs.  I bet this lady has had close encounters with her dog and is trying everything to prevent an attack.

I had her fixed about 18 months ago but she still attacks.  She doesn't show any warning signs..she just turns it on suddenly.  I was going to try an electric collar but ended up buying a remote control collar that beeps warnings and then finally sprays the dog with a citrus liquid.  It works OK but always needs charging.  The other option would be a muzzle that she would have to wear 24/7.  As it is, I sleep with the remote controller around my neck because I can not trust her.

This dog is great for a one dog family but for right now I have to live with her and she has to live with my dogs and cats.  I can't bear to abandon her to the shelter.  One on one she is very loving.

I saw a training system that uses a special pronged collar to train dogs.  The reviews I read have been favorable.  Some people are concerned about hurting the dog with the prongs but the majority said after 1 or 2 tugs on the leash the dog learns not to misbehave.

If the spray collar stops working or if Zena becomes immune to it, then I'll have to try the pronged collar.  Like I say, I have tried everything including treat training.

Please give this woman the benefit of the doubt.  No one resorts to pain unless all options have been explored.

Gail

PS  I have 5 dogs and 8 cats.  The other dogs are well behaved and do not cause any problems.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gailchap wrote:

I can understand when one has to resort to more serious and painful actions.  One of my neighbors abandoned a Great Prynees puppy so I took her in.  She got along well with my other dogs......until she went into her first heat.  I should have had her fixed before she went into heat but I didn't know how old she was and didn't keep track.  After her heat she became an attack dog.  And she always attacks my old and sick chihuahua or my other shy female.  She did a lot of harm to all my animals and a lot of harm to me as I have been in the middle of these attacks trying to save my other dogs.  She doesn't attack me - only other dogs.  I bet this lady has had close encounters with her dog and is trying everything to prevent an attack.

I had her fixed about 18 months ago but she still attacks.  She doesn't show any warning signs..she just turns it on suddenly.  I was going to try an electric collar but ended up buying a remote control collar that beeps warnings and then finally sprays the dog with a citrus liquid.  It works OK but always needs charging.  The other option would be a muzzle that she would have to wear 24/7.  As it is, I sleep with the remote controller around my neck because I can not trust her.

This dog is great for a one dog family but for right now I have to live with her and she has to live with my dogs and cats.  I can't bear to abandon her to the shelter.  One on one she is very loving.

I saw a training system that uses a special pronged collar to train dogs.  The reviews I read have been favorable.  Some people are concerned about hurting the dog with the prongs but the majority said after 1 or 2 tugs on the leash the dog learns not to misbehave.

If the spray collar stops working or if Zena becomes immune to it, then I'll have to try the pronged collar.  Like I say, I have tried everything including treat training.

Please give this woman the benefit of the doubt.  No one resorts to pain unless all options have been explored.

Gail

PS  I have 5 dogs and 8 cats.  The other dogs are well behaved and do not cause any problems.

If a person is afraid of their dog or cannot find a way to control them without the use of shock or pain or some form of torture, they should give the dog to someone who can.

If a dog is best in a single animal home, perhaps it is best you give the dog to a single animal home. That way both the dog and the family will be safe and happy. It is honestly the best, most selfless thing you can do for your pet, as well as your other pets in the home that may be in harms way.

This coming from a person who loves animals and would never lightly suggest people give up their pets. There are many rescue groups for dogs and non-kill shelters around these days. It was nice of you to try to take care of her since your neighbor abandoned her but it obviously is not working out well for you or her. Please consider placing her with another family. Not all dogs do well in multi-pet homes like yours.

Super Contributor

Gailchap .... Have you considered using herbs and supplements to help.

I have a Great Pyr foster .... and understand your situation 100%.  Taking the edge off helps.

So the first thing to add is Melatonin.  It works differently in dogs ... google it. It does NOT put them to sleep, it balances the serotinin in their brain.

The dose is 3 mg.  It must be tablet form with no/minimum additives.  I buy the GNC brand (not the capsules the tablets).  Start with 1 tablet every 8-12 hours working up to 3 tablets every 8-12 hours.

Also, remove any RED meat from the dog's diet.  This includes cows, buffalo, rabbits, etc.  Check foods and treats.  Stay away from things made from cows like hooves, bully sticks and rawhides.

If you are interested post back here and I can help with more supplements.

I can only say my dog has been chnaged 100%.  It is like a miracle.

I do give 2 additional chinese supplements and some CBD oil.  I always start with the quickest least expensive solution.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:
I have said it before and I will say it again, anyone who uses any of these "correction devices" is not training the dog. It is abuse. Positive reinforcement training teaches appropiate behaviors while building a great relationship.

My point exactly CrazyDaisy!    

I had a collie growing up.  He never went to training.  We were loving owners, we were gentle and yet firm in our training.   Our collie was gentle with kids, older people, cats, etc.    My dog learned how to be gentle and not aggressive by the way we showed him.   He learned commands and was well trained after our hard work.  We trained him with love and if he did something wrong, we spoke with our stern voices, not with our hand.. I always was afraid when I walked him if I was pulling too tight.   I was always cognizant of him being cared for with love and compassion.

Thank you for stating it so plainly.