Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Leash that Shocks & Chokes (cross posted from community chat)

Does anyone have any suggestions for DaringGreatly?

I am trying to think of a way to approach that neighbor in a positive and effective way but haven't come up with anything useful yet.  In situations like this, I often, before I sleep, hope to wake up with the right words to say.   If you then have to say them aloud, practice so you feel comfortable saying them, and perhaps even anticipate possible responses so you are ready and can keep yourself as calm as possible.  I'm sure you know this, but the goal is to help the dog and not to fight with the neighbor.  I know this is a very difficult situation.  Maybe even bring in another neighbor or friend to help.  You've probably thought of all this already.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Free Spirit

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will start the melatonin tonight.  I usually alternate chicken and beef for her food so I'll just keep her on chicken. 

Let me know what else you use please.  I know the dog is happy this way....she wants to play with the other dogs but now they are all afraid of her.  Only just now they will play with her because I can control her meanness with the spray collar.  I only have to use the beeps to control her for now.  I thought it was only food aggression but I see the aggression if I pay attention to the other dogs.

I see on Facebook that a company sells different oils that are rubbed on a pet's fur or put in their food - different oils work on different problems.  Do you know if these work? 

Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone.   Not sure what to do.   I think I'll contact a local animial rights group and get some suggestions.  I can't approach the neighbor, I don't know her that well.  

I just hate knowing that dog is being hurt like that.   The poor thing cannot be happy and probably doesn't trust her even though she feeds him.  

I wish I could make her wear a collar for a day and see how she feels when I push the button and shock her!    

Now, I wonder how she disciplined her own children.

Super Contributor

I use 3 other products ... not sure what is in your budget:

1) CBD oil.  It is hemp oil.  All the medical benefits of marijuana but none of the THC that gets you high.  Legal in all 50 states.  Google Canna pet and read the reviews on amazon.  This is the product I use ... https://www.bluebird-botanicals.com/Cannabidiol__CBD__oil.php Since it is not a regulated industry it matters.  My friend that is a human chinese herbalist uses this for her dogs.  The 2 oz bottle lasts many, many months. I also keep the Canna Pet biscuits on hand for extra stressful situations.

2)  An Shen Bu Xin teapills by Plum Flower.  I buy them on Amazon or ebay as they are the cheapest there.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071BJFXY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

3) Bupleurum Dragonbone Oystershell Teapills  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFBA84K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I use melatonin, CBD oil and An Shen Bu Xin 2x a day.  I use the Dragonbone Oystershells as needed.

My dog is 75 lbs and very stressed.  We have been on this regiment for months.

I started on 1 melatonin 2x a day worked up to 3 2x a day ... now her dose is 2 melatonin 2x a day.

The CBD and chinese meds are supposed to be given on an empty stomach ... 1 hour before or 2 hours after food.  I feed them with food and give higher doses. 

Start the CBD at 4 drops 2x a day and work your way up.  We found 7 drops 2x a day is the right amount.

An Shen Bu Xin can also be given 3x a day.  Dogs metabolise medicine faster so you can give higher doses.  We are at 8 pills 2x a day.  Start with 4 pills for a few days and add them 1 at a time.

Bupleurum Dragonbone Oystershell Teapills.  I use this as needed but have a friend that gives this every day.  In the beginning I was giving 4-6 pills 2x a day.

Do NOT be afraid to give high doses in the beginning and experimenting with what mixture of the items are best for your dog.  What is interesting ... as the dog calms down and gets it's wits about it you will likely be able to cut back on the meds.

Let me know if you have any other questions.