Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Thanks but Chewy doesn't carry it.Smiley Sad

I also recommend Fromm.  Fromm stopped selling their brand to Chewy after Petsmart bought Chewy out.

I now use Crave.  It comes in Lamb. Salmon (only two sold at my local grocery store), Beef and Chicken which I get from Amazonsmile.  Chewy has their own brand now - forgot the name, touted as similar to Fromm.  

For what it's worth, I recommend either Fromm or Crave. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll be great for your furbaby.  FYI Eddy's vet told me that it's not necessary to buy grain-free which is really a fad nowadays.  Crave is grain-free, but Eddy gets enough grains eating his 'people' food!Woman Happy

Contributor

I suggest looking into SportDogFood. You can order through Chewy but if you contact them directly, I believe you can get a free sample. I realize you have a small dog but their food is very high quality and can be purchased in different formulas which is ideal for those dogs who have allergies or reactions to different ingredients.

Good luck with your boy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Valued Contributor

@Deree 

Glad you already know about DFA!  My furbaby was a 16lb. Silky Terrier senior that I adopted at age 7 and he passed at age 13, so it somewhat compares to your description.

I gave him Merrick, grain free, both dry & canned, until the company was sold to Purina. He would not eat only dry kibble so had to mix with the canned.  Merrick also has the regular grain formulas which my friend was giving only the dry kibble to both her Yorkie & Silky/Yorkie mix, also until Merrick was sold.  We were both happy & they all did well on Merrick. It was personal choices when Merrick sold, so at that time I switched him to the Fromm grain free line kibble & canned, and she switched her 2 to Canidae All Life Stages which they are still on and they are both 13 now.  Also the woman that owns a great doggie day care & boarding where I had to leave my little guy a couple times will only use Orajen for all her dogs (she would order the Fromm for me from a supplier she dealt with because I could not get it from pet stores in my area).  I am not familiar with brands that Chewy carries so cannot help with that.  Just wanted to give you info on foods that I or others I know of had experience with.  🐾🐾😊

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Yes, DFA is a great resource for the very reason you mentioned...independent of any dog food companies.  When I decided to switch from Merrick when Merrick was sold to Purina I used DFA to research other brands and decided on Fromm too for my furbaby!  🐾🐾😊

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Food Recs

[ Edited ]

Pet flow is quick to delivery, i thought you wanted kibble,i did not know you wanted wet. Most wet food does not have enough protein in it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My understanding is that dog food companies started using peas,and legumes ,to add protein, and save money,instead of real animal protein,so much info.on this,  but  i decided to do food with grains,i always have added real protein to my dogs, be it beef, chicken,eggs,canned salmon, and veggies, i would had thought by now ,these companies would had chaned to foods with grains by now,but as one can see  still mostly grain free,i give my dogs a taurine supplement also.

@goldensrbest What is the name and brand of the taurine supplement you give and where do you buy it? Our girl is still on a grain free (Salmon and Sweet Potato or Turkey and Sweet Potato). Her vet did not think it was necessary to switch to something with grains, but I'm interested in adding a taurine supplement just in case.

Trusted Contributor

Image result for dinner pawsible

We switched over to home cooking, i highly recommend this cookbook, easy wholesome meals. 

Honored Contributor

Well i was wrong about wet foods, i just got decembers issue of whole dog journal, it rates canned food, i always thought it was not as good,i was wrong.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

@mrssweetiebear wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

My understanding is that dog food companies started using peas,and legumes ,to add protein, and save money,instead of real animal protein,so much info.on this,  but  i decided to do food with grains,i always have added real protein to my dogs, be it beef, chicken,eggs,canned salmon, and veggies, i would had thought by now ,these companies would had chaned to foods with grains by now,but as one can see  still mostly grain free,i give my dogs a taurine supplement also.

@goldensrbest What is the name and brand of the taurine supplement you give and where do you buy it? Our girl is still on a grain free (Salmon and Sweet Potato or Turkey and Sweet Potato). Her vet did not think it was necessary to switch to something with grains, but I'm interested in adding a taurine supplement just in case.

Or does anyone else have a recommendation or knowledge about taurine supplement? Thanks.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My puppy loves Merrick brand.  They have several varieties & flavors from which to choose.  They have "lil bites" for small breeds, which is what I feed mine.  I recently put him on the senior formula and he took very well to it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.