Trusted Contributor

Re: Dog Food Recs

[ Edited ]

@Scorpio1971  Yes I'm signed up with DFA and that was the first place I went to for the 20 top dog foods 2019. Some of those brands I looked at are in my OP.   It always comes down to either chicken in the ingredients or wet food that doesn't come in smaller cans or tubs or can't be ordered via Chewy.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Face book,has a dog food  taurine page you can join,.but warning about this,they say we should feed royal cain,proplan,and a few others.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest My vet mentioned Royal Canin as an option but that contains only chicken too for both his breed and for general small dogs.  I also looked at Pro Plan and it wasn't suitable.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Food Recs

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@goldensrbest My vet mentioned Royal Canin as an option but that contains only chicken too for both his breed and for general small dogs.  I also looked at Pro Plan and it wasn't suitable.

Take a look at farmina, they have lamb with grain, and fish with grains, try a small bag.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you had a definitive answer from the vet after allergy tests for chicken?  

Often a food that appears to not suit actually has an hidden item in it.  Like "liver" when it actually is beef liver.

I had a lot of seniors with issues and I located a "gourmet" pet food shop that had already done a lot of research.

The foods at lower priced outlets like Petco and Chewy are not good quality IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Have you had a definitive answer from the vet after allergy tests for chicken?  

Often a food that appears to not suit actually has an hidden item in it.  Like "liver" when it actually is beef liver.

I had a lot of seniors with issues and I located a "gourmet" pet food shop that had already done a lot of research.

The foods at lower priced outlets like Petco and Chewy are not good quality IMO.

There is nothing wrong with chewy, i also order from petflow.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm another vote for Fromm. They have a large variety and different types. The customer service is great if you need help.  

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 

That is a great website for research and that's how I first found out about Fromm.

I especially like the fact that they aren't associated with any brand of pet food and are therefore unbiased.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest  The only flavor that doesn't have chicken in the ingredients is Farmina fish but farmina doesn't offer any wet food at least on Chewy site.  I must have the accessibility of Chewy. It's a drive to the pet store and I can't always drive. I get delivery from Chewy the day after I order.

Contributor

Another vote for Fromm, I have ordered from Petflow and never have had a problem.