Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Here is an article about grain-free diets and heart disease.  I am not promoting this as I had never heard it before either.  I just searched for it and found a few articles.  

All the articles talk about Taurine deficiency and heart issues.  That's a given.  There is no evidence that grain free diets specifically peas and legumes are the cause. 

If I had to make a guess.....  Many big manufactures are jumping on the grain free band wagon.  They are using peas and legumes as a source of protien. thus reducing the amount of meat and taurine available in the product.  Causing problems with some dogs.  Some manufactures have strarted adding the amino acid rather than increase the amount of real meat in the product, much cheaper.

Premium brands are aware that different protien sources have different levels of Taurine.  When people rotate between protiens they feed inconsistent amount.  Manufactures have started adding taurine to provide a consistent amount over the brand products.

Thank you for that great explanation. Everyone just needs to check if you are using a grwin free diet. Acana was one that was listed as having a issue. Whether they fixed it or jot i dont know.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to another retailer

New Contributor

Here is a link to a letter Dr Joshua Stern wrote regarding Taurine Deficient DCM. He is from University of California Davis.  There is more and more I formation and research coming out regarding Taurine Deficiency, avoiding Grain Free and the possibility of peas (legumes)and having negative effect on the health of canines. I have switched my dog away from grain free and legume free food.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Taurine-DCM-Letter-final-from-Dr.-Joshua-Ste...

New Contributor

Please do a little more research, especially what is being found from UC Davis and Dr Joshua Stern.  They are finding links to grain free, peas (legumes) to heart disease (DCM) .

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Taurine-DCM-Letter-final-from-Dr.-Joshua-Ste...

Esteemed Contributor

Amazing how people choose to read what they want out if anything.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone here tried Pet Plate? 

Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Amazing how people choose to read what they want out if anything.  

I think that's unfair. the poster was just promoting information that she read with the hope of protecting our beloved animals. For your information the FDA just released an announcement warning about grain-free pet foods and the link to heart disease. Apparently there is research that legumes, potatoes and peas (found in large quantities in grain-free foods) can possibly interfere with the absorption of taurine. There are quotes from vets from NC State and Tufts, two very prestigous vet schools. I feed my dogs Fromm Grain-free. I will certainly be paying close attention to any further research that is discovered. After all, we all want the same thing in the end which is the healthiest possible food for our babies...or is being right more important?

The link to the NY times article is below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/health/grain-free-dog-food-heart-disease.html