Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Food Question

[ Edited ]

I agree with @LoveMyBaby. We’ve fed grain free, high end, “Dog Food Advisor” highly recommended foods (Fromm, Nulo, etc,), and our Boston terriers, while looking good with good blood work, always had sensitive stomachs and didn’t seem to really like any that we tried. Our trusted vet, who raises championship bulldogs, recommended Science Diet, and the dogs are thriving on it. Our pickiest (who gives picky a whole new meaning) loves the active longevity small bites. I know what is said about foods with corn and grains, which is why I fed grain free for so long, but I also know that mine like the SD and are doing very well on it. And my vet doesn’t sell this food either. I have to buy it at Petsmart or online like I would any other food. He’s not making money from our purchases; he only has the health and well-being of our dogs in mind.  I have found out that grain free is fine for some dogs but not for others.

Trusted Contributor

@lovesallanimals

Yes, only dry. 😊 It's there when they're hungry, and I guess I've just been lucky.  I don't get the 'picky eater' thing. If they get hungry enough.....it'll taste pretty darn great. I think the key is consistency. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Its reassuring to me that some have found such success with science diet.

I've read the reviews too and it is rated poorly.

But my 18 year old cat has been on that for a year and after trying many different highly rated brands, this is the only one that does not have her throwing up and she likes it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624

I don't buy into that hype. My dogs are well adjusted, happy, thriving, well behaved, and not neurotic, so been very lucky.  They're very content with Science Diet. 

Pet supplies, toys, treats, medications, gimmicks, it's BIG money, and everyone wants a slice. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

@AinhisgMy vet says corn and grains do a dog no harm. My dog is 8, and he cautions me about higher fat dog foods as it can lead to pancreatitis.

We have so many pet foods to choose from.  I just avoid the higher fat ones, often consult dog food advisor, read the labels.  Chewy is a great source of label information.  Actually I'm feeding Zignature at this time because they have a lower fat whitefish kibble.  I've fed that brand for quite a few years and am happy with that.  I fed Merrick before that but was disappointed when Purina bought Merrick, but I suppose it's still an ok food.

Valued Contributor

My 4 year old lab gets Science Diet large breed light. I have always given my dogs Science Diet.

Honored Contributor

Within a couple of months of bringing him home, we converted our dog to Nature's Domain, which is a private label version of Taste of the Wild made for Costco.  We've been feeding it to our dog for 5 yrs. and he never refuses to eat it.  It's grain-free and comes in salmon, turkey, or beef varieties and costs about $35 for a  35 lb. bag.  Dog food advisor gives it 4 stars. 

Whatever you do, if you want to give your dog variety, it's better to offer that flavor variety within the same brand rather than bouncing around to different brands.  If you decide to go to a different brand, do so slowly, mixing a little of the new in with the old, gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old while keeping the total amount of food per feeding the same.  Your transition should be complete at about a week's time.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay

Great to hear. My daughter's cat was throwing up all the time, she put her on Science Diet, and the vomiting stopped. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

My 4 year old lab gets Science Diet large breed light. I have always given my dogs Science Diet.

@mare54.   I fed Science Diet for years but quit it instantly when I saw where it stood on the nutrition charts.  I guess its okay if you don't care what sort of nutrition your pets receive.  You also aren't getting your money's worth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624 that adding a bit of plain, non fat greek yogurt to the dogs food is a good idea.  My dogs love the taste and it adds nutritional benefits.  Adding a teaspoon or so of extra virgin olive oil might work too.  My one fussy eater likes this addition to his food.