Regular Contributor

Do you know of any gravy that is made for dogs for their food?  Iams used to make a gravy to pour in their food and they discontinued it.  My small dogs are now on several medications and it's not easy to get pills down them and they won't eat their food if you sprinkle the pills on it.  I was wondering if a different company made something like the Iams gravy for dogs.  They loved that stuff I was so disappointed when they discontinued it.  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

i just use Swanson Chicken Broth over Canidae - but before that - I used I and Love and You chicken stew in cans.

Trusted Contributor

Next time you make a roast, save some of the gravy, broth, and add it to their food, just a thought, just watch the salt. 

Trusted Contributor

100 % pure pumpkin is good for dogs too Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Have you tried giving your dogs their pills in Pill Pockets?  I've never had a dog refuse to eat them.  I've also found that taking a piece of hot dog and putting the pill in a slit in it works well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Yes, the pill pockets don't work, they are too smart for them.  They'll get the pills out of the hot dog too.  At least my girl will, nothing gets past her.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried pumpkin puree or sweet potatoes (from the pet store--not the pumpkin for pies)? These two also help with the digestion which is also a benefit with pet medication. I have large dogs and each one liked a different "treat" to hide the medication--velveeta, cream cheesecool whip,cooked peas and carrots and jar gravy or spaghetti sauce. Hope one of these works for your dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cats and dogs both take pills very well with liversausage.

Oscar Meyer sells it in small tubes so you won't have a lot leftover. This sure-fire method has seen me through 6 dogs, small to large, and 2 cats.

Hot dogs are a choking hazard.

Liversausage is spreadable soft and pliable.

Roll 6 small balls of liversausage.

Tuck the pill into the 5th one.

Give the 1st. They'll like it. Let them have the 2nd.

They'll "eat" the first two, exploring this new treat.

They'll just 'gulp down' the 3rd and 4th, without chewing or tasting, which is important.

They'll also 'gulp down' the 5th one, even though they'll notice the 'lump' inside.

Give the 6th just to be sure the 5th went all the way down.

Over time they'll learn this is a good treatie, and you can slowly cut this down to just one ball of liversausage per pill.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions!  I will try some of these.

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to add, my parents would give our dogs a few rolled balls of liversausage as a treat now and then so the dogs never had to 'get used to it' after the first time.

As soon as they smelled that they knew treats were coming.

So anytime the Vet prescribed pills the dogs gobbled them right up!