Honored Contributor

Especially helpful in the case of rescued pups, as everyone just guesses which breed they look like.

Our son, Kingston, was picked up by animal control who said he was one breed, then the rescue group who pulled him from animal control said he was another breed and our Vet said something different.

I found this and in doing research it has good reviews, so I ordered it for Kingston.

Looking forward to finally know what breed(s) he actually is, backed up by science, not 'looks'.

https://www.qvc.com/DNA-My-Dog-Canine-Breed-Identification-DNA-TestKit.product.M120364.html?cm_ven=O...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I'll be interested, too, as I always thought Kingston was a full pit bull!  Can't wait to find out his mix.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 

Actually, animal control who picked him up off the streets after someone set fire to him, said he was a pit.

The rescue group who pulled him said he was a Plott hound/American Staffordshire mix.

Our vet said he's American Staffordshire.

American Staffordshire is under the 'umbrella' of many bull terrier breeds considered 'pit' bulls.

I'll definitely report back when we get his results, it's shipped and on it's way and it says you'll receive the result with a certificate in a week (we'll see about that, LOL!)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom. the rescue said my Eddy was a black lab mix and ten years old.

Did the dna and he's 1/2 Staffordshire Terrier and 1/2 Cocker Spaniel, going all the way bak to his great-grandparents on each side.  He does look like a lab - everyone the vet, thought he was a lab, but once I carefully studied his face, I can see the cocker spaniel!  He's got short hair like an Amstaff along with the long ears of the Cockerm making him look like a Lab!

The vet studied him and determined/proved to HealthyPaws and Eddy was much younger when he came here at the beginning of Februard 2016.  Healthy Paws has corrected Eddy's DOB - he'll be eight years old this November 30th!

Anyways, good idea you have to do Kingston's DNA - certain breeds have certain health tendencies - knowing what to epect I think will help.  And your son's breed might surprise you as my son's did!  

(Amstaffs are very loving, kissy dogs!  They love their mommas!)

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I hope you get good info from your Kingston's DNA test, it always pays to have that knowledge so you can anticipate health issues, especially in a Rescue.  I adopted a dog the shelter called a "MinPin mix" in February, they said he was 12 years old, but since he was picked up as a stray they didn't know for sure.  While the Embark DNA test did not give me his actual age, it let me know the age they guessed is probably wrong, just like their breed guess was.  They didn't even get the group right!  He's not a Toy Group Miniature Pincer, he's a Terrier Group Manchester Terrier, 100%.  We'll never know how such a rare breed of dog wound up running loose, since at one time someone spent quite a large sum of money buying a puppy and probably flying him here.  The good thing about knowing his breed is that I know his expected lifespan is 15-17 years, but since he has cataracts in his eyes, his age is probably closer to 14 than 12, although I sure hope I am wrong, because I'd love to have another 5 years with him, he's a wonderful little dog!  I'm looking forward to hearing you get some fun and maybe surprising info from Kingston's DNA test, like I did from Max's!

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

We got a rescue dog just over a year ago. The rescue had her listed as an Aussie/Collie/Sheltie mix. We got Embark DNA kit & the results said100% Border Collie. Now if we just knew how old she was... 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Thank you for the information. I'm fostering a small dog who isn't house trained or leash trained which isn't her fault. She has heart worms and is being treated now. The shelter thinks she's about six years old. She's also recovering from being spayed which should have been done years ago. The shelter manager and assistants think she's a long-haired chihuahua which will be more obvious when her fur grows back. The lying "breeders" discarded her and three other dogs, all of which were in horrible condition.

I have to wait until the shelter allows her to be adopted. I'll get to call her my own that day. I'd like to know if she's mixed with another breed. She's black and tan, very smart and very affectionate. 

Respected Contributor

If anyone comes up with something Unexpectedly fancy that your dog does NOT look like Please don't tell the Vets ofice to put that breed down First in records just because it's fancy.   IF your dog goes missing and someone who finds it calls around , Your "Looks like a chocolate Lab"  may not be found because Cattahoula Leopard Dog  results from DNA test are first on his file.  Put the one he LOOKS like first.  Sounds like a no brainer, but it's happened.

Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I hope you get good info from your Kingston's DNA test, it always pays to have that knowledge so you can anticipate health issues, especially in a Rescue.  I adopted a dog the shelter called a "MinPin mix" in February, they said he was 12 years old, but since he was picked up as a stray they didn't know for sure.  While the Embark DNA test did not give me his actual age, it let me know the age they guessed is probably wrong, just like their breed guess was.  They didn't even get the group right!  He's not a Toy Group Miniature Pincer, he's a Terrier Group Manchester Terrier, 100%.  We'll never know how such a rare breed of dog wound up running loose, since at one time someone spent quite a large sum of money buying a puppy and probably flying him here.  The good thing about knowing his breed is that I know his expected lifespan is 15-17 years, but since he has cataracts in his eyes, his age is probably closer to 14 than 12, although I sure hope I am wrong, because I'd love to have another 5 years with him, he's a wonderful little dog!  I'm looking forward to hearing you get some fun and maybe surprising info from Kingston's DNA test, like I did from Max's!

Camille P

I also have two Toy Manchester Terriers. They are very rare. You are very lucky to have found him.