Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Bathing Questions - I'm Going to Attempt It

[ Edited ]

I have a 40lb Airedale.  My first Airedale was 60lbs.  With both of them,  the few times a year that they need bathing, in between the groomers,  it's in the TUB, with me in it too.

I get PLENTY of old towels that are now my doggie towels and keep them close.  I bring the shampoo in with me and get the water to a warm temp.  I straddle my dog and get her wet with the hand held shower head.  Then I soap her up really well, careful around the face area, and rinse really well.  When I'm done,  I reach outside of the shower curtain and grab a towel which I immediately drape on top of her so when she shakes (even though we are still behind the shower curtain,  the water is captured by the towel.

I dry her off with several towels as best I can, and then let her run around the house.  She LOVES being super clean.  After a little while she comes into the bathroom with me and I use a light hand when I blow dry her ...  I don't get too close.  She LOVES the blow dryer.

After a couple of hours, I put her collar back on.

Make sure you take your dog out to do their business prior to bathing.  Just makes it easier.  It's really not difficult.   Let us know how it goes.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to add to make sure you get every single mat out before bathing.  Bathing will make the mat worse and be painful to your dog.  Mats are painful anyway, but will be worse after a bath.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

petco

near by?

they have the wash the pet rooms there

@jackthebear  The point in me doing it at home is because of time.  Petco is about 30 mins. away.  If I had to drive there, take the time to do the bath, get him good and dry before going outside, and then drive home, I'm not helping myself at all.  I have no business even sitting here right now, but I'm enjoying my coffee and will get to the start of my chores soon.  I've already brushed the dog with that rake thing.  Whew, I could fill a small pillow!  I think I'll work on him a little more with that tool and attempt his bath after I take him out at 11AM.  Then he'll have a good, long stretch to dry before he goes out again this afternoon.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @JeanLouiseFinch!

I am a novice dog washer.  I have two standard poodles.  They go to the groomers every 5 weeks.  However, sometimes (in-between their grooming schedule), they are naughty and get into things which require me to wash them.

In the beginning, I was very anxious.  Now...I just think ok...it is not going to be perfect but I can have fun with this.  Whatever I do can be undone.

About mats.   I will comb my dogs out before bathing.   However, sometimes I find a hidden mat and shampoo will help me to work it out.

I rinse, rinse and rinse.  I rinse more than I think I should rinse.  I don't use conditioner.

My dogs do not like to stand in rising water.  I use a hand held sprayer. 

Have a stack of towels and washcloths near by.  I use the wash cloths to dry their faces.

The norm is 48 hours before allowing a dog to get wet after receiving a topical flea treatment. 

Have fun!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Super Contributor

I use vinegar water in a spray bottle for a "conditioner". On my long hair, too. The vinegar smell goes away as it dries.

Don't remember if anyone mentioned this, but it helps to brush again after they're dry.

Esteemed Contributor

I always bathe our dogs. I always have German Shepherds so they are big. I now use the shower for them. I give them a "beauty treatment" before the shower. I brush them with a desheding tool (detangle tool depending on your dog). This will prevent more matts from happening during the shower and save your drain from dog hair clumps. Oatmeal is a good ingrediant as well as aloe. They are both soothing to the skin, clean gently. 

I also swear by the microfiber dog bath towels. (I purchased mine at BBB) They really soak up the water on the dog. It makes the drying time so much faster. I air dry my dogs because I have yet to have one that tolerated the dryer.

I also give them a special treat (usually a larger dog biscuit) after their shower. They know after the bath is treat time so they look forward to it.

Have all of your supplies ready and the towel handy to grab. I don't start running the water until I have them inside the shower. Make sure you have a decent sized bath mat for both you and the dog to avoid slipping around.  

Honored Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch,  We know that you are very busy but if you can, get back with us and let us know how things went.   I bet you're already finished!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

OK, I'm back.  Good thing we were alone and nobody was filming...LOL  

I pre-warmed the shower sprayer and made sure the water was a good temperature and I put some cotton in his ears.  He was a little reluctant at first, but climbed in the tub and patiently waited as I wet him down and soaped him up.  Fortunately, the hose on the shower sprayer was long enough for me to be able to use it comfortably.  A couple of times he was looking for a way out but stayed when I told him too.  He was actually pretty cooperative when I told him to turn around so I could get each side.  I wasn't quick enough to get the towel draped over him so he gave me a shower.  I got as much water out of his fur with multiple towels but he still seems pretty damp...looks funny too.  He got some treats afterward for being a good boy.  This was pretty much a lick and promise, to get him cleaned up for the time being.   I'm sure I wasn't as thorough as a trained professional and I probably missed some spots but it'll do for now.  DH thinks it would be a breeze to bath the dog.  I'm going to let him try it sometime and see what he has to say after the fact. Woman Wink

Thanks again for all the pointers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch  Just wanted you to know when we get in the tub, I let all the water drain as I'm washing my girl.  I use the hand held shower head, as I mentioned, so she gets more of a shower than a bath.  It's so much easier. 

Just read that you already tried it.  Sounds like you did a great job and your dog was so good.  WOW.  You're a natural.  It will be even easier next time. 

Frequent Contributor

Please be sure if using a blow dryer to use the cool setting only.  Dogs can't sweat to cool down the way we can, and can become overheated easily.