Honored Contributor

Dog Bathing Questions - I'm Going to Attempt It

[ Edited ]

I've got a busy week ahead, getting ready for company and preparing for DS & future DIL's bridal shower, not to mention I still haven't snapped back into normal life after being on vacation.  I don't know what it is, but things better straighten out soon.  

Anyway, I have no time at all to get my dog down to the groomer (honestly don't even know if I can get there with all the flooding that's happened in this end of the county) so I am going to attempt bathing him myself.  Lord help me!  Today, while grocery shopping, I picked up a comb of sorts (it looks like a rake), that's supposed to loosen mats and get down to the undercoat.  I also bought some Burt's Bees oatmeal shampoo and a bottle of conditioner.  I hope that brand is OK.  All this said, and I feel dumb asking, do I do all the combing and dematting before the actual bath or after he's done and dry?  And do I actually have him stand in water or leave the drain open and have him just stand in an empty tub?  One last thing, he gets a topical flea prevention treatment every month.  How long do I have to wait after application before I can bathe him?  He's due for the treatment so I also have the option of bathing tomorrow during the day and giving him his treatment afterward.

Your advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Bathing Questions - I'm Going to Attempt It

[ Edited ]

My dogs only get bathed once in a blue moon.  Before the bath, thoroughly brush the dog to get rid of mats and undercoat.  Bathe the dog with the drain open.  I use baby shampoo from the dollar store since I do it infrequently.  Keep a leash on the dog so you have control; shut the bathroom door in case he escapes.  Towel dry, then brush while you dry with a hair dryer.  This will make him fluffy and soft.

Read the label on the flea preventative.  You may want to use It after the bath.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I do the same as Kachina624. 

In addition, I would recommend spreading out plenty of towels on the floor and towels ready to grab as your dog will shake lots of water all over!  Remove anything you don't want to get wet!

Valued Contributor

My dogs are afraid of the hair dryer.  I gave up on that many moons ago.  I just towel them off and left the air dry.

Honored Contributor

My dogs visit the groomer monthly and love the experience. 

Respected Contributor

I bathe my Bichon Stanley all the time in between him going to the groomers. I brush him really good first and then I stand him in the laundry room sink with the water running and I make sure it is warm. Then I wet him all over with the faucet and I don't plug up the sink so he is not standing in water. Then I soap him up and scrub him going from his tail first to his head last. Then I rinse him really well and then put conditioner on him from head to toe. I then rinse that our really well. I towel dry him and I make sure I dry inside his ears really well. Then I let him air dry for a while then blow dry him and brush him all over. I also clip his nails and brush his teeth. Now he has been getting this done since he was twelve weeks old and he loves it!! Our groomer who clips him and gives him the works does that every six weeks. She says it is amazing how he lets you just do anything you need to and holds perfectly still. I wouldn't suggest you try clipping nails or brushing teeth since this is your first time. LOL I also talk to Stanley the entire time and I think that helps too.

Honored Contributor

All of my dogs are large to extra large.   No bathing them in the bath tub.   I bought an adapter from Lowe's.   It replaces the adapter on the end of my kitchen faucet.   It is threaded so that I can bring the end of my garden hose inside and attatch it to my kitchen faucet.   I can bathe my dogs outside, in warm water.   I would never bathe them in cold water.   I use Suave no more tears shampoo to prevent stinging their eyes.   For long fur, comb them out first.   After wetting dog, put some shampoo in large plastic pitcher and add warm water.   Mix it with your hand then pour shampoo water evenly over dog.   Bathe well and rinse very well.   Have plenty of towels and towel dry very well.   Ears, between toes, tummy, throat area, the behind area.   Then let the dog air dry if possible.   Blow drying may scare them , burn them and dry out their skin, making them itchy.   When the dog is dry, then apply flea drops.   Be gentle and patient and don't forget hugs.   Heart

Trusted Contributor

Make sure everything you need is within arm's reach!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the pointers, everyone.  If I could get there, believe me, I'd prefer just paying the groomer.  Lately I've noticed he's getting a little stinky from playing outside more.  If it was just us that had to deal with it, I could put things off, but with company coming this weekend, I don't want him to be offensive to anyone.  There's no way I'd ever be confident enough to clip his nails, I'd be too afraid of going too short.  He just had them done a month or so ago so he's still fine there.  He's a big guy so getting him into the laundry tub isn't an option.  He has a very easy going disposition and listens well most of the time so I'm not afraid of bathing him - accepting the fact that I'll probably be just as wet as him before the whole thing is over!  LOL 

Anyway, thanks again.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

petco

near by?

they have the wash the pet rooms there