Frequent Contributor

DH brought home a little Pom/Terrier mix that someone gave him in April.  Bella is about 5 years old (per our vet), and has been spayed.  We have a doggie door with a large fenced back yard.  Also have 2 other dogs.  Bella has learned to use the doggie door, and sometimes follows the other dogs outside to potty.  She sometimes goes out on her own to potty.  Then she just stops, I have bought a carpet cleaner because of her using our area rugs for a bathroom.  She is completely attached to DH, but he can't be home during the day.

She was very fearful and timid when he got her, and attacked our other small dogs.  That has improved, thankfully.  Sometimes I can catch her and carry her out and she will potty outside.  Sometimes, like today she is staying hid, and has used the rug for a bathroom again.  I tried to pick her up to take her outside and she bit me.  She has aslo bitten me when I give her a bath.  

I live in a rural area, nearest dog trainer I can find is 3 hours away per the internet.  

I am in  tears today because of her.  I don't think she likes me, only DH.  I am alone with her 90% of every day.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Contributor

My thought is that maby she may have had a bad start in life.   I adpoted a Toy cocker spaniel and she was shy.   She did follow the lead of my other puppy when it came to going out side though.  Every once in awhile she get get frightfull and go under a table. I have. put a comforter there for her.   Most of the time she is a great girl.  My 2 play together and learn.  One suggestion I could make, just let the puppy come to you.  When you are on the couch or doing work around the house, let her make the first move.   Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Have you had your vet thoroughly check her out?  It sounds like she may have a physical problem re the going on your rugs.  That also may account for her grumpy personality with you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Advice Needed

[ Edited ]

I would pick up the rug she's marking and put down a wee wee pad in its place. When you need the bath rug put it down and then get it back off the floor and return the pad. I wouldn't even point out to her that it's there for her, just that it's now in place of the rug. see what happens. As for the biting, you can say No firmly in a matter of  fact tone. Also my sister always says That's bad, but not in a mean tone, again matter of factly. When she responds positively the way you want her to, oversell the behavior. You know, what a good girl, what a very good girl,  that's a smart girl, you know make it cheerful. Make sure all your responses are in real time, immediate.This way she realizes what you are rewarding her about.  Also don't forget to praise your others so they don't feel left out! Don't forget you can treat her too, but not overtreat, she may become overweight. Praise and affection go along way as well. Good Luck! Keep us updated.

Honored Contributor

When she goes outside to do her business, immediately give her a treat.  When dog is on your rug, watch carefully.  When she starts sniffing around, pick dog up & take outside.  Give a treat.  Soon, the dog will associate outside potty means a treat.

If dog is going to same spot on rug, you are not using the right cleaner to elimnate the smell your dog is returning to.  Do you have pee pads? 

DH is "Alpha" of the pack.  There is nothing you can do about that.  You will have to deal w/it if you are not taking your dog to a professional trainer for behavorial training.  Have you checked around for a trainer that will come to your home?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Use a crate to retrain her house breaking.  It will also provide a safe place fir her when your husband is not around.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

For the time being, remove the rug that she favors as a bathroom.

If she hasn't bitten DH during baths, let him do the baths for now, until you establish yourself as a 'leader of the pack' along with DH.

If you need to physically take her outside to potty when DH isn't home, do not pick her up, attach a leash to her collar and lead her out.

If that means having to use a towel around your hands to attach the leash, so be it.

She needs to learn that not only is DH 'the leader of the pack', you are too.

Be consistent, animals learn by repetition, using a calm demeanor, scolding will only make her more fearful of you.

Dogs bite most often when they are fearful.

I have trained horses, a monkey and many, many dogs and calm, patience and persistent are very important.

Let us know it goes!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

Yes, she has a clean bill of health from our vet, except for allergies/itching and she is on meds for that.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have long haired doxies and our female doesn't like to out outside of its cold, wet, snowing, etc.  We solved the problem by keeping an old white towel (so you don't step on a "gift") in our attached master bath.  If there is an accident it's easy to address.

Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo   Never believe that leader of the pack thing!!!  Use only positive training methods.  Confine her to where you are and put her on a schedule.  Take her out maybe every 2 hours and when she goes reward her with a treat and praise her.  After a few weeks you should be able to know how often she needs to go out and she probably will come to you when she needs out.  Also, talk calmly to her off and on all day and play with her and give her small treats.  Make it fun and don't just grab and pick her up.  She may have been mistreated by a female.