Esteemed Contributor

Does your dog bark at TV doorbells?

Our Daisy ,a Brussels Griffon, goes nuts when doorbells ring on TV.  Lately there seem to be alot of commercials with ringing doorbells.  Our other dog seems to know the difference between real and TV, only barks at the real bell.  Officer Daisy always on duty. 😡

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

Re: Does your dog bark at TV doorbells?

That is toooo funny!!   Those commercials with doorbells sound so real that one night my husband jumped up & went to the door.  He said "No ones here."  I said ( lmho!) "That's because it was the TV!"

Honored Contributor

Heavens yes!   I recently sent an email to McDonald's PR telling them the fastest way to alienate consumers is with an irritating doorbell commercial. 

I do find over time I can desensitized my dogs by being non-reactive and mater of factly saying, "it's just the TV".   Tho they have no idea what the TV is,  they observe that I don't get up or react so eventually they'll quit barking. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

My mini doxie "Julio Roddy Freeman" not only barks at tv doorbells, he stops what he is doing and barks at dogs on tv. They do not even have to bark. I also have him on video watching "The Grinch" movie and barking at Jim Carrey.  Julio is seriously a character!!

Honored Contributor

Of course. My beagles hear any doorbell & the howling starts. "There's a small chance it may be the pizza guy". 

Honored Contributor

My dogs used to bark at doorbells on TV, but not anymore. I guess they can tell the difference now.

What I hate the most is radio commercials where a car or truck is honking their horn.  This is scary as hello to hear while you are driving,  It makes me react in a bad way for nothing.

I wish I could learn to tell the difference between real and radio.

Respected Contributor

My Scottie boy, Johnny, reacts to the TV doorbell, more of a short, soft "WOOF" than a full out bark, and I just have to tell him it's the TV to calm him down.  I don't know how my new dog will react, she's a 14 year old Cairn Terrier and doesn't hear too well to start with, so she may not even hear the TV.  She doesn't need to be a guard dog, bless her heart, I am just enjoying spoiling her.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh yea!! I hate when I am on the phone and both start barking and running to the door...LOL

Super Contributor

Mercy knows before the bell rings that there's someone at the door. I can always tell when my bell is getting ready to ring. She's at that door in a flash! I can also tell if it's my family or a stranger. Family, no bark. Stranger, lots of barks.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
QVC Customer Care