Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does your dog bark at TV doorbells?

@151949 wrote:

Are you people at all aware that dogs can be TRAINED to not bark, and thus be much more pleasant for you AND ALL YOUR NEIGHBORS and guests?

I told Daisy what you said and she just laughed and said how funny you are. 😁

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Oh wow, another post reminding us about proper pet ettiquette!

People! Aren't we all aware that we can train our pets not to do something that we find endearing because we ACTUALLY love having pets in our homes with quirks of their own? 

What are we thinking???  LOL

I guess there are some people that don't appreciate how much a pet can contribute to the quality of our days, whether it be companionship or give us a good laugh.  To some, they would be too much of a bother and irritation to have.  Hopefully, they aren't pet owners.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our Quincy always barked at door bells on TV.  He also barked at other dogs or animals on the screen.  He would jump up and block me from seeing the other dogs.  I always said he was jealous and didn't want me looking at another dog. LOL  I would assure him that he was SO MUCH more attractive than the dogs on TV!!  One odd thing - he hated the TWIX ads where the people snapped the candy bar in half and it made that sound.  He would whine.  DH would always change the channel or mute the TV LOL!!  Also, if we let our phone go to the answering machine instead of answering, he would lift his head straight up and howl while the people left their message.  We loved that!!  Really!!!

On the other hand, Willoughby pays no attention to door bells or barking dogs on TV, but he will sit for long periods of time and watch Curious George and Clifford the Red Dog.  I think it is the high pitch of the kids voices.  He will also stop mid play and listen to certain voices singing - tipping his head.

I suppose I could TRAIN him not to do this, but heck, this is one of the reasons we have a dog!!!  We love it when they do "dog things". They all have different personalities and DH and I have derived so much pleasure from each and every one of our beloved pets and their different ways of interacting .  SMH and feeling bad that someone wouldn't or couldn't appreciate the cute things their dog did.

Super Contributor

@151949

I think most of us are aware you can train a dog to go just about anything. I would never want to train Mercy to not bark. I don't have an alarm system in my home. My alarm system has 4 legs and a tail. She's my first line of defense if someone were to try to break in when I'm home alone. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Super Contributor

Our Grace used to right after we got her from the Humane Society but after about 2 weeks she seemed to figure out the difference and now she only barks if our doorbell rings. It is alot louder than the ones on TV and I think that is how she figures it our now.

Honored Contributor

LOL yep but only two out of the three do/did. Funny thing is, we haven't actually had a doorbell for several years! They don't go nuts though- just a bark or two but it is funny and I just laugh.

Respected Contributor

Redford immediately barks and goes to the front door to continue to bark. He takes his job and a petite cocker watchdog very seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

Two of our earlier dogs, Jack and Higgins, always barked at the doorbell.  One time, in the middle of the night, we had an electrical storm.  For some reason, everytime it lightninged (is that a word?) the doorbell would go off.

Between the thunder and the dogs barking their heads off, it was pretty loud.  All we could do was laugh.....and we still do when we think about it.

Honored Contributor

Our rescue, Kingston (my avatar) goes NUTS at doorbells (even on tv)!

The Reese's peanut butter cups/pieces Halloween commercial, with the doorbell ringing drove him crazy!

I got to where as soon as it came on, I hit the mute button!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

My lab used to bark at any animal that was on the television (they could've been making noise or not, it didn't matter). One time we were watching a show and it was about a cheetah or some big cat, she was doing her typical barking at it then the cat went to the left side of the screen then it disappeared. Jazzy was following it (while barking at it) when it went off the screen, she then went to the back of the television to look for it.   Needless to say I could never watch animal planet when she was in the room 🙀 Another time I was watching an episode of "home improvement" the scene was between the main guy and his brother, the brother had a squeaky toy which they passed between them, Jazzy's head would follow the toy as it squeaked and was passed back and forth between to them.  She was in my life for 15 years, that was her personality and I would've never wanted her any different.  ❤️🐾❤️