Respected Contributor

Does your Dog Hate the Rain?

My dog refuses to walk in the rain.

He won't potty in the rain either.

Okay, I'm gonna try this ONE MORE TIME .... (sigh)

Any suggestions?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Does your Dog Hate the Rain?

Five minutes later ...

Okay!  We're back! 

He won't even go out the door to the back yard.

LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I have German Shepherds and neither are crazy about the rain. My girl tries to only potty a little bit in the rain while my boy will do his business and get back in the house. 

Do you have a smaller dog? Sometimes I think they just don't like feeling the rain hit their skin. My friend had a smaller dog and once she bought a raincoat for her girl she was much better. My dogs won't tolerate any of those items but they seem to work for others. 

Do you give a treat after potty? I do and they love them. 

Esteemed Contributor

My beagle hates the rain. She’ll run to the door to go out, then makes a stop that would put a hockey player to shame, and comes right back inside. She will go out in the rain only when there’s a dire emergency.

Honored Contributor

They love to go on walks and will walk with me in the rain.  But if it is raining a lot outside they will do  their business and want right back inside. 

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of the rain, but my dogs are.  They love it.  When we go out they take their good old time even though I try to hurry them up. Maybe it's because they are spaniels.

When they are soaked through, it takes forever for them to dry.  I finally purchased waterproof body suits for them.  The only thing that gets wet is their head and long ears.

If they refused to potty in the rain, it would not be good for them. We have had so much rain and flooding this year. It rained yesterday and is raining now.

Honored Contributor

My herding dogs, with heavy undercoats, were bred for inclement weather and don't even seem to notice rain or snow.  They get wet and cold then make a flying leap onto my lap.  Then, we're all cold and wet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My dog (a doxie mix) doesn't like to get rained on but she will go out once the rain has stopped.  She doesn't mind the wet ground. 

Respected Contributor

Pinky hated pouring rain but she'd tolerate a light to moderate rain.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina-

our biggest over 100 pound big goofy loveable baby refused to go out in the rain.He would not run out and in for anything!

So like fools, my son and I went out to show him, bending down as if we were going saying "see Coop"?!

Nope, he wasn't moving.

I forget how we got him to go out once!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"