Respected Contributor

Re: Does your Dog Hate the Rain?

[ Edited ]

My little high-strung chi-terrier mix HATEs all precipitation. She refuses to go out in drizzle, rain, snow, etc.   and we live in New England, so this is difficult- Her coatis 1 layer, super light, so I think she feels every droplet...   But she does hold it for many hours.  Once During a long snowstorm, we had to take her to the basement and intentionally make her nervous, to scare the xxx/ xxx out of her!  It worked-  

Super Contributor

@on the bay I lol at your post. What we do for our dogs. My hound mix (58 lbs) hates heavy rain and refuses to go out. I take him on a leash through the garage and he’ll go at the corner of the house under the eaves. He cannot wait to get back in. He does love snow but is terrified of thunder. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@RinaRina-

our biggest over 100 pound big goofy loveable baby refused to go out in the rain.He would not run out and in for anything!

So like fools, my son and I went out to show him, bending down as if we were going saying "see Coop"?!

Nope, he wasn't moving.

I forget how we got him to go out once!

@on the bay

I bet your neighbors are still talking about you and your son "going" in the yard!  animated-smileys-laughing-016.gif

Valued Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My beagle hates the rain. She’ll run to the door to go out, then makes a stop that would put a hockey player to shame, and comes right back inside. She will go out in the rain only when there’s a dire emergency.

Your post made me smile @Vivian  my Beagle hated the rain too and would do that same slam on the brakes when he realized it was raining, lol.  Miss my sweet boy!  Heart

Valued Contributor

My big, beefy, vicious Smiley Wink pitbull hates the rain as well as the wet grass!  He will hold it until he is at the point of bursting then run out and do his thing.  We've tried rain coats, winter coats etc.  Nothing has made a difference.  I am seriously considering getting him the rain boots for dogs.  We joke that he is a water pansy.

Now, if that rain turns to snow- look out.  He will stay out for as long as you allow him.  He loves the snow.