Respected Contributor

Does dog/ cat need the Lyme vaccine?

I’d love opinions from all the educated pet lovers here!  Do you vaccinate your animal with the Lyme vaccine?  We walk the dog almost daily in some woodsy areas so  I give her the monthly preventive chewable Nexgard (which I think is an awesome product).  This is New England so Lyme is in this area. The vet office assumes I am giving the Lyme vaccine annually given and it’s a series of 2 shots, and unless tell them no in advance, they bring her to the back and give the shot with the other required shots- 

Is it really necessary? I tend believe in minimizing shots to those required as I think they over- vaccinate unnecessarily for their own profit. She is only 13 lbs. 

Thanks sooo much!  Skye 💝

Regular Contributor

Re: Does dog/ cat need the Lyme vaccine?

[ Edited ]

Yes our dog gets a Lyme shot, every dog I've owned since the 90's have had them. I have an 85 lb Irish Setter, he's also on bravecto. We're at the Jersey Shore. We have and off leash park that was once a horse farm, there are like 6 football size fields that he runs and it's heavily treed, he also gets a flu shot.

Respected Contributor

Yup.  If you are wondering if lyme is in your area ask your vet.  how often do they see dogs come in with fever or lameness and have it turn up lyme dz.  they may even be able to tell you wnere those dogs frequented for wilderness forays. might be the same woods.  If she was mine and I walked her in a high tick Lyme known area like the woods I'd get the vaccine even if I did use a tick product on her.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the Lymes vaccine is necessary.

Honored Contributor

Lyme disease is very common where I live.  I know many people who have it, including my nephew.

My two dogs get the vaccine every spring, but the Vet was quick to point out that it isn’t 100% effective and people shouldn’t think a dog gets the shot and everything will be okay.

We still need to use the flea/ tick collars and check the dogs after they come in from the outside.  Dogs who get the vaccine can still get Lyme disease.

if you live where Lyme disease is common, your pets should get the vaccine, but you must also use other deterrents as well.

if your pets are indoors or there isn’t a Lyme disease problem in your area, you can probably skip it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Clearly every person said yes, it’s necessary... It helps to know what other dog owners are doing. Thank you. 🐕🙌🏻

Super Contributor

Just do some research and learn the many side effects, there is a way they can reverse it, I don't know what it is tho. Also it's recommended to make certain the dog is very healthy, and best to not give it with other vaccines. That way, if there should be a reaction, you know what caused it.

I've learned it's not usually the first vaccination that causes the reaction. In my girl's case, it was the second distemper, at 3 months. Documented by the University of Illinois' vet clinic, seconded by my vet. I'm only glad that my vet didn't give all the 3 month vacs at that time, she felt it was too much for such a small dog.

Respected Contributor

also, after rereading your post. the Lyme vaccine is only a 2 shot deal when it's first given. consider the first shot a "primer" so the body is introduced to the components and the booster that is given a few weeks later is for the body to say "wait a minute I know that and it's gotta go" and mount an immune  response.  then it can be boostered annually.  If you don't get the innitial booster it's not going to be effective.  That is also why some animals have reactions to the second shot in any vaccine series and not the first one.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on where you live. If you live in the northeast it is defintly necessary. Our vet does not give them unless someone asks. We normally don’t have a tick problem. But last year with the warm winter it was so bad. We had to start using tick medicine for the first time. Because we are moving right next to a woods we will be keeping her on it. Lyme doesn’t prevent all tick born disease.

Valued Contributor

My friend's dog died from Lyme disease.