New Contributor

Does anyone use the Furminator?

I know QVC used to sell the Furminator, but no longer does. Does anyone use this type of brush? I have a Bassett and definitely needs something that works.  Maybe some suggestions instead!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone use the Furminator?

Welcome to the board! I used to have the Furminator and used it on my Westie, she loved it. Thank you for reminding me, I must have misplaced it somewhere. Smiley Mad

Valued Contributor

I used to have one and gave it to my daughter.  Now we have a generic one we got at Menards and it works just as well.  We love ours.  Have 6 cats and we joke that since they are shedding we get enough fur to make a cat rug. We get lots of fur but the fur is not pulled or ripped.  I think it set us back $15.00

Honored Contributor

It has never worked for me.  I've had Collies and Aussies and the "teeth" on the Furminator are not long enough to go through the outter coat to remove the undercoat which is mostly what they shed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

It works very well on my 3 aussies. It really removes the undercoat plus the product lasts. I have had the same one for 12 years.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - I've used it on Coonhounds and a Sheprador, with great results.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@oakie1129 wrote:

I know QVC used to sell the Furminator, but no longer does. Does anyone use this type of brush? I have a Bassett and definitely needs something that works.  Maybe some suggestions instead!

@oakie1129   I found so many brushes were too harsh for my two little dogs, so recently bought Martha Stewart's here, and they love it, two sided, as it doesn't poke their skin.

Respected Contributor

I have 1 and it works OK on my Shelties. It is only safe to use on certain breeds though. You should check that out before you purchase one. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@oakie1129 

Welcome to the boards.  Lots of very nice people here.

Yes, I still have mine.  I have two sr. kitties but only 1 of them really allows me to brush her.  It does a fabulous job on her thick undercoat.  When I've gotten most of the undercoat, I then use a shorter steel brush type for more of the surface coat.  Her calico coat gets very soft & shiny.  

My other kitty, has never been a fan of grooming.  I may be lucky to get 1-3 minutes & only on the back area.  Never allows for the belly.  In any case, the claws come out to let me know that's enough!

I've seen the furminator at PETCO.  

Honored Contributor

Your dog has short hair, my advice is get a good slicker brush, and take a look at JW pet company grip soft rake on amazon.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.