Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if birds leave an area prior to a hurricane hitting?

I feed the birds year round, so my yard is always full of various types of birds.  

We live in central NC and, if you haven't heard, we have a giant hurricane coming.  I noticed yesterday that there are hardly any birds in my yard.  Yesterday, the hurricane hadn't even made landfall.   To add to this scenario, in 1996 we had a hurricane hit our area even though it was supposed to bypass us.  After the storm passed and we were cleaning up all the trees that came down I noticed that there were no birds.  I thought then that perhaps they were blown away, but now they are gone before any serious weather.  

I have tried to research this online, but was not able to find any definitive answers.  Are there any bird experts here who might be able to tell me the answer?  Do birds leave an area prior to dangerous weather? 

Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone know if birds leave an area prior to a hurricane hitting?

Right before Sandy all the seagulls were gone..it took a few years before they came back. They came back in small amounts each year. 

Truth be told .....as much as they can be extremely annoying we did miss them. It was a reminder of the devastation and what happened.

Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Dreamon! 🌸

Respected Contributor

Birds usually fly over a storm and can sense when one is coming due to the changes in the barometric pressure.  When the storm passes, they usually return.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic

Research has shown that birds can hear infrasound (ref) and are sensitive to barometric pressure (ref and ref), so they know when a storm is on its way -- especially when the storm is as large and as powerful as a hurricane.” Forbes 2017

The article said that they do alter their behavior by leaving the area.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I am not surprised to know that they can sense the danger.  Think of the poor little hummers on their migration south.  They are just gone from my area in Nova Scotia.  LM

Respected Contributor

@LTT1,

Thank you for the info!  I love the birds who spend time in my yard!  Hope they are in a safe place. 🐦🐦🐦

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would guess the birds do have a sense of weather changes and leave the area.

When that huge earthquake hit San Francisco 25 years ago or more, the seals that sit on the rocks near shore all left several days before.  They sensed impending danger.

Edited to add - the seals eventually returned when danger had passed.