Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone have experience with a puppy who is afraid to leave the yard / house?

@KaliaMonet wrote:

Your puppy does NOT need Prozac. A good, reputable vet would know about what I'm going to tell you. 

German shepherds go through two "fear periods." Yours is going through her first. She is going to be afraid of A LOT of things. This is just something German shepherds go through. You need to be extra patient and introduce your puppy to things slowly, praise her, and let her know that the objects she's afraid of aren't scary.

We went through it with my mom's shepherd, Orla. She was afraid of the weirdest things: Lawn bags, leaves, t-shirts (she was  fine if we wore long sleeves since we got her when the weather was still cold, so we didn't wear short sleeves), spoons, and even the neighbor's dog she was previously friendly with. 

The fear periods are annoying, but you'll get through it. Just introduce her to things, let her check them out, praise her when she does well. She'll go through another period in a few months, but you'll be more prepared.

Just so you know, my shepherd was an absolute demon when we got her. She's over a year old now, we trained her at home, and she's turning into a wonderful companion. Shepherds are a hard breed and take extra love and dedication. You're going to come across some WEIRD issues and issues that will make you want to rip your hair out. You'll be fine!  Hang in there!

Also, if you're on Facebook, I recommend joining some of the GSD-specific groups that will be more helpful than the QVC forum. The groups "My GSD" and "Me and My GSD!" got me through our first year with Orla. The tips and discussions were valuable, and you have a strong support system behind you. Check these two groups out! 

Hi there.  I am so glad things worked out with your mom's dog.  I remember how stressful it was last fall when you were unsure it was going to work out.  You guys did good! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have experience with a puppy who is afraid to leave the yard / house?

YES, I have a dog that was very fearful/unconfident  GET A GOOD TRAINER/BEHAVIORIST.  Prozac is not the first answer, training is needed.  Unchecked, fearful dogs can become reactive and unpredictable.  At some point medications may be necessary as a training aid, not a solution.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine was scared of some things.  Don't medicate, if all possible.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not start with Prozac for a puppy. I had an English Spherd who was afraid of everything. It takes time and reassurance. He had terrible seperation anxiety. Baby steps in the pup's training. It will take some time but the results will come.I would hold his ears when he was little because he was so frightened of the storms. Car engines made him skiddish, etc. It's constant reassurance and extra hugs and pats on the head. Remember, he might not be a dog that likes to go for a walk. Some of mine are and some are not. Puppies are like people...they all do not have the same likes or dislikes.

Start out small with walking him around a tiny area in your patio or yard. I'm guessing that he may only feel safe inside the home. That was the case with ours. He was actually born on a farm so everything outside was noisey and too loud and scary for him. He would go outside to potty but I needed to be near him. They all learn at differnt speeds. Be patient and you will have a good dog.  

Respected Contributor

PLEASE.....NO DRUGS!

That doesn't fix anything, it only masks the issue in a very destructive manner. 

From personal experience, the very best thing you can do is take your pup to private dog training lessons. Avoid the group training sessons. It will cost some money, but your dog (& you) will benefit for it's lifetime. 

I've done this twice (several years apart- 2 different dogs/issues). Working with an experienced trainer will give your dog such confidence. It's amazing how quickly it happens. Your GS should REALLY take to it because they are working dogs. 

Do research & find the best trainer you can find. Btw, you will be there during the lessons, training your dog via instruction. 

I wouldn't even ask a vet about the issue. They're like drs.....drugs, drugs, & more drugs. It drives me crazy. Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

@KaliaMonet wrote:

Your puppy does NOT need Prozac. A good, reputable vet would know about what I'm going to tell you. 

German shepherds go through two "fear periods." Yours is going through her first. She is going to be afraid of A LOT of things. This is just something German shepherds go through. You need to be extra patient and introduce your puppy to things slowly, praise her, and let her know that the objects she's afraid of aren't scary.

We went through it with my mom's shepherd, Orla. She was afraid of the weirdest things: Lawn bags, leaves, t-shirts (she was  fine if we wore long sleeves since we got her when the weather was still cold, so we didn't wear short sleeves), spoons, and even the neighbor's dog she was previously friendly with. 

The fear periods are annoying, but you'll get through it. Just introduce her to things, let her check them out, praise her when she does well. She'll go through another period in a few months, but you'll be more prepared.

Just so you know, my shepherd was an absolute demon when we got her. She's over a year old now, we trained her at home, and she's turning into a wonderful companion. Shepherds are a hard breed and take extra love and dedication. You're going to come across some WEIRD issues and issues that will make you want to rip your hair out. You'll be fine!  Hang in there!

Also, if you're on Facebook, I recommend joining some of the GSD-specific groups that will be more helpful than the QVC forum. The groups "My GSD" and "Me and My GSD!" got me through our first year with Orla. The tips and discussions were valuable, and you have a strong support system behind you. Check these two groups out! 

Thank you for sharing your experience ~ I found it very encouraging.

Regular Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Is it that puppy doesn’t like or isn’t used to the leash?

It's not the leash Sammy fears.  He actually gets quite excited every time I get the leash in my hand because he knows it means we're going outside.  He does not like to leave our yard ~ whether it is the front yard or back yard.  Occasionally he will walk 3 houses away, maybe 4, but then fear sets in and he is ready to bolt home.  I make him sit for a few minutes when he tries to bolt , so that he can look around and listen, and see that nothing terrible happened.

Regular Contributor

I am going to research CBD oil and Composure Pro.  Thank you for sharing.

Frequent Contributor

I am in rescue and specialize in fearful, feral, abused, and anti-social pups. You are not at the point where Prozac is needed! Desensitizing is a slow process, and it takes patience and love. As someone stated, baby steps! A reward system is often used in desensitizing, but never any negative training nor force should be used! Please, find a good trainer, or contact some area rescues to ask for recommendations. Especially with working dogs, like GSD’s, you must be careful with their spirit. This might be a good place to start, actually. Start training your dog to “come” “sit” “ stay” “heal” “lie down” etc. A well trained pup is much more secure because the pup knows you have everything under control. Work maybe five minutes, two or three times a day, always with positive reinforcement. Praise, pats, toy, whatever motivates the pup. Some use clicker training, and I have used, but not my preferred method. Just find a trainer, but do not leave your dog with a trainer! The trainer should evaluate your dog and then train you how to train your dog! Best of luck, but I know you’ll be posting great success in the future!
Esteemed Contributor

@Lottapaws wrote:
I am in rescue and specialize in fearful, feral, abused, and anti-social pups. You are not at the point where Prozac is needed! Desensitizing is a slow process, and it takes patience and love. As someone stated, baby steps! A reward system is often used in desensitizing, but never any negative training nor force should be used! Please, find a good trainer, or contact some area rescues to ask for recommendations. Especially with working dogs, like GSD’s, you must be careful with their spirit. This might be a good place to start, actually. Start training your dog to “come” “sit” “ stay” “heal” “lie down” etc. A well trained pup is much more secure because the pup knows you have everything under control. Work maybe five minutes, two or three times a day, always with positive reinforcement. Praise, pats, toy, whatever motivates the pup. Some use clicker training, and I have used, but not my preferred method. Just find a trainer, but do not leave your dog with a trainer! The trainer should evaluate your dog and then train you how to train your dog! Best of luck, but I know you’ll be posting great success in the future!

Unfortunately most people are looking for the "quick fix" and do not want to put in the time needed.  Working with difficult dogs can be the most rewarding experience and they become the most amazing dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.