Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a cat with diabetes?

Agree with most on here.  My daughters cat actually had zero signs of him being diabetic, what concerned us was an extremely strong urine smell when the cat went in the box.   We took him to the vet and sure enough he is diabetic, who would have thought?  It's always good to have them monitored, you just never know.  We love him dearly, so thankful we did the right thing.

Honored Contributor

My cat Fabio had asmatha.  For a long time it wasn't bad but as it progressed the vet said we'd have to give him Prednisone

The Vet said he was afraid that eventually the Prednison might give him diabetes, but we didn't have a choice as it Bo (we called him that) would gasp for breath.

So, we started him on Prednison.  After a few years (maybe 1 & 1/2 he developed diabetes.  Then I started giving him diabetes medicine.

Fabio lived for a few more years.  He even got to the point where I couldn't get him to drink the water he needed so my friend would come over every day and hydrate him (needle under his fur).  We did that for awhile.

Then he got so bad he was just suffering too much.  It almost killed me because he was my late husband's cat.  When my husband died suddenly.  It was Fabio who'd run out of the house and sit on top of my late husband's truck.  He'd do that every chance he could sneek out!

I finally sold the truck because I didn't need it.  I sold it to my business partner in Florida because my husband drove it down there and I hoped Fabio wouldn't run out to sit on it.

It did solve that problem.  Once the truck was gone he stayed in the house.

My daughter's cat Phoebe had diabetes.  She wasn't fat (neither was Fabio) but cat's are prone to diabetes.  My son-in-law would sprinkle the medicine over her wet food.

She lived for many years with diabetes.  The hardest part was getting the medicine right (quantity).  She also developed thyroid problems.  She was given thyroid medicine too.

My cat (Bill) had thyroid problems.  I had him radiated.  That was my choice so he wouldn't have to suffer while we figured out his thyroid dosage.  He's doing great now.  No medicine except I order prescription food for him because he had kidney stones (he won't drink water).

People don't realize that animals can live for a much longer time now.  Adopting an animal is a real commitment. 

I guess I should say that to care for them the right way way is a commitment.  They give us way, way more than we give them....(my opinion).

Frequent Contributor

My god friend has two cats with diabetes.  They go to the vet often t have levels checke.  The expense is hard on her.  The cats are doing well.

Super Contributor

I had a cat with diabetes.  It is critical to take the cat to a good vet.  I had to give my cat Insulin twice a day for a year.  Then I started educating myself about food.  I started feeding Fancy Feast Gourmet canned with the highest protein content.  No dry food ever!  Within a year he shed 5 pounds and I was able to take him off Insulin.  If your cat has Diabetes and its not treated the cat will die.  BTW, there are different kinds of Insulin.  Some regulate better than others.  Listen to your vet and don't go for price.  One little bottle was $300 but lasted for a long time.  I ordered syringes and needles online which is a lot cheaper.  My cat lived for many years with good treatment and appropriate food. 

Super Contributor

BTW, the Diabetes and obesity epidemic can be directly linked to kibble.  Dry food should never be fed exclusively to cats.  It causes Diabetes and kidney disease.  Even a bad quality canned food is better than kibble.  Having 14 rescues over the years I learned my lessons the hard way.  Unfortunately the pet food industry cares very little about the health of our animals and the nice commercials showing juicy chicken and beautiful vegetable are nothing but lies and it's all about profit not quality. Unfortunately even some of the 'super premium' foods seem to come from the same garbage heap. Don't believe it?  Watch the next recalls.  They seem to affect many brands ergo same contaminated source.   Also the FDA and AFCO do next to nothing to protect our furry kids.  Food for thought - all the animals that drowned after last year's hurricanes were ground into pet food.  Despite being half rotted that was considered legal. 

Honored Contributor

@TW wrote:

BTW, the Diabetes and obesity epidemic can be directly linked to kibble.  Dry food should never be fed exclusively to cats.  It causes Diabetes and kidney disease.  Even a bad quality canned food is better than kibble.  Having 14 rescues over the years I learned my lessons the hard way.  Unfortunately the pet food industry cares very little about the health of our animals and the nice commercials showing juicy chicken and beautiful vegetable are nothing but lies and it's all about profit not quality. Unfortunately even some of the 'super premium' foods seem to come from the same garbage heap. Don't believe it?  Watch the next recalls.  They seem to affect many brands ergo same contaminated source.   Also the FDA and AFCO do next to nothing to protect our furry kids.  Food for thought - all the animals that drowned after last year's hurricanes were ground into pet food.  Despite being half rotted that was considered legal. 

I don't believe this for a minute.  I read lots and lots about pet food and have never read this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to, @plc123 .  This was back in the early 1990s.

Clearly, you'll want a vet to diagnose your pet, but if the cat should need insulin, you'll find the injection is fairly easy and not at all hard on the cat.

I was scared to death to do it but found that grasping the fold of skin at the scruff of the cat's neck as the injection site will make it easy on you both. At least, that's what my vet at the time instructed.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@Tinker Toy  Your friend is a good pet mamma.  Does she think she could check their glucose at home?  Ask her Vet what monitor they use and get one of her own.  Ask the vets to show her how to get a blood sample ( just a ltttle drop) of blood from the cats ear tip and keep track of the numbers herself.  She cam test them at home and Call in the results to the Vets for dosage instructions. Still would want Eyes on appointments but maybe ca cut down on the frequancy.

Respected Contributor

@TW  I don't believe the bit about dorwned pets ground up for pet food.

Respected Contributor

@plc123  Good to know your kitty kid doesn't have Diabetes.  Just a thought and Only because a concern has been brought up, have you had your persian cat looked at for Polycystic kidneys?  That came to mind before Diabetes for me in such a young persian cat.

Glad shes doing great!