Esteemed Contributor

Does Your Furbaby Share Food With You?

My Eddy has needed extra protein for his situation.  So I have givin him veggies, cheese, meat, etc. with his kibble.  This tactic also helps me getting him to take his glucosomine daily dose.

Seems Eddy not only enjoys the food, he enjoys our sharing the same food and/or at least having the same meat/veggie, etc.  We often have strawberries dipped into yogurt and take turns eating each piece, same with sharing a banana or even a toast.  

Lately I've noticed, he makes sure I'm having the same veg with my meal; e.g., today I had potstickers with peas while he ate kibble with peas and savored it!  I have a friend who said her two furbabies check out her plate before eating their dinner to see if it's the same!

Imho it's a bonding thing Edy's experiencing (not that he's not already bonded), sort of like the tradition of 'beaking bread' with family and friends:  advances the closeness/kinship.

Would you like to share your experiences?  (No dogs should only eat canine food comments please!)

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Furbaby Share Food With You?

How cute!

Shadow will share ours, period!  lol!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I'm sharing a Costco chicken with my dog this week.  She doesn't get most of the meals that I cook because I use things that are not good for animals, e.g. onions and spices.  My feral cats get most of the left over meat that I don't want.  A couple days ago I found a freezer burnt standing rib roast.  I cooked that shared it between the animals and they love it, as well they should because it cost me $15.

Respected Contributor

Our cat loves to check out what we are eating but she is very particular about the people food she will eat.  This includes ham, croissants and Popeye's chicken.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

& my Cat Shadow is the same as YOUR Shadow...anything we are eating he wants some too.

He shocked me when he found a love for of all things ARTICHOKES (the small ones in the can in brine). 

He loves for me to give him a few small bits of them.  I thought it was surprising to see him eat peas, corn, and chickpeas - but Artichokes took the cake -

Btw - no, he hates cake!

Respected Contributor

I never feed my cats people food. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@ECBG 

& my Cat Shadow is the same as YOUR Shadow...anything we are eating he wants some too.

He shocked me when he found a love for of all things ARTICHOKES (the small ones in the can in brine). 

He loves for me to give him a few small bits of them.  I thought it was surprising to see him eat peas, corn, and chickpeas - but Artichokes took the cake -

Btw - no, he hates cake!

Funny!  The,  rescue had named Eddy. Shadow, but Eddy named himself Eddy after he came here!

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @eddyandme 

I feel it's a bonding experience, too. The only issue is that this girl is the smallest of all the small dogs who've ever lived with me, and it's tricky to give her extras while remembering to keep it all at a very small scale. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

What do you think?

Rocko dinner.jpg

Actually, Rocko is eating HIS food (F3 Bengal cat needed a raw diet) but would pester us relentlessly until we set him a place.  He & his great-grandma, Millie, enjoyed morsels of cooked chicken occasionally as treats and DH got Millie started on asiago cheese.  Couldn't he have chosen a cheaper cheese??   Cat LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

Kingston always gets veggies, etc. added to his kibble, because they're all good for him.

I cook as much for him as I do us, LOL!

His faves are:

Beef liver

Chicken liver

Chicken (& chicken w/rice)

Sweet potatoes

Peas

Carrots

Green beans

Cottage cheese

Shredded cheese

Canned pure pumpkin (not the pie mix)

Boiled eggs, chopped

Watermelon

Chopped apples

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.