Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Dog Like Their Own Bed?

Chewy dot com has a nice selection of senior dog beds.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@graciesmom1003

What a cutie pie!Heart

Unfortunately we can't let 80 lb. Kingston sleep with us, he insists on sleeping on TOP

of me, LOL!

And I only weigh 105 lbs., so I can't breathe!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Well if he can't jump like he used to, then he's probably sore and needs a nice comfy bed of his own........one that's similar to your bed with lots of cush.  I also like the idea of at least one side where he can elevate his head if he wants to.  Dogs seem to take nicely to having their own little space.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks!  He's not so much of a "curler", as a "stretcher".  I think I'll seriously consider a platform with a Berkshire throw on it, that he can tailor to his needs.  He does like to have a pillow.

The input is really appreciated.

Of course he's seemingly happy right now laying on the back deck.  There'll be no bed out there.  He's got plenty of holes in the dirt that he lays in when the weather is mild.  

Dogs are the best.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia...My Pillow pet bed is the absolute best. We bought 2 of them for our little feller & he has turned into a lazy bum!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

That reminds me of a sign I have hanging in our den that says, "Whoever said diamonds are a girl's best friend, never had a dog!"

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

They sell steps for dogs and they learn fast to use them.  Mine used them to get down too.  Ramps for the back of the car too.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beds are essential for dogs...it gives them a sense of having their own space and security.  An orthopedic bed would be best for a large dog especially if he is beginning to experience pain or limited mobility.

My dog loved his beds.  He had one sized just right that he could curl up in so he fit just right...he was 16 lbs.  And he had a huge bed that could fit 2 big dogs in it and he loved to stretch out in that one or sleep on his back or side all stretched out.  It was 42 in. × 30in.!  He also had a big crate in the kitchen he could use when I was there, and a car seat in the car so he was elevated, harnessed in and could safely look out the window.  I spoiled my baby and miss him immensely.

Also, I always kept a couple towels on all his beds and rotated them off with clean ones so I could wash them.  This way the beds stayed cleaner if that is your concern.  Every time I changed his beds he would quickly investigate and climb into his bed and start rolling & twisting on the clean towels or trying to pull off into clumps make them comfortable for himself...he was too funny!  They also sell fleece dog blankets you could use instead of towels.  I had them in the car seat to provide more warmth when we were out and took them into friends houses to use as a place for my dog to lay down when we visited.  Also helped keep the car seat cover cleaner too.  😊

This was him when I brought his new big bed home...he climbed in & claimed it before I could even take the tag off!

20150320_145151-1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is too cute, @Scorpio1971.  I love the terriers!  Sorry you had to lose that one.  It is tough to lose a friend.

I find the dog likes to make the smell familiar, too.  To heck with this clean stuff!  Give me bio-solids!

I find my boy on the (people) bed very defiantly today.  We'll ease into his own thing on the floor, but I think the "Brindle" will do nicely.

Thanks for that suggestion, @deb5555.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

Thank you...it's just been 11 months today.  He was the best...never a problem, no destruction, never begged for food, loved everyone especially kids, and all other dogs. Adopted him at 7 years old and never know what you're getting when you adopt but he was a treasure for sure!

Went through my pics again and found one of his favorite "works"...destroying & rumpling up his bed towels like I mentioned previously.   Would go out to do errands and this is what he did to greet me!  Lol!  He was a little devil like this...a cute little devil though!  Those towels sure saved cleaning that bed often because he loved to go outside & roll in dirt and also scrape & kick back his rear paws in dirt & grass so I even had a towel on the rug in front of his bed where he would lie down too.

This bed was too huge for him but he loved it from the day I came in the door with it!  And he certainly did make sure he put his scent on his clean towels asap!  Lol!

Good luck with you dog and I hope he enjoys his new bed when you get it as much as my 'Napoleon' loved his! 😊❤

20161015_134050.jpg