Valued Contributor

Does Anyone Have a Dog with Acid Reflux?

Hello!

Does anyone have a dog with acid reflux?

Our Chihuahua mix had been vomiting in the morning--sometimes just yellow saliva--sometime part of his breakfast.Took him to the vet yesterday--and she said he has acid reflux. He needs to lose 3 lbs (he's 16 lbs--down from 17 lbs),but otherwise is fine--he just turned 2 years old. The vet gave him the anti-nausea drug Cerenia to be taken for 4 days--and 5mg of Pepcid for 7 days (twice a day)-- then we'll see. Also have to feed him 3x a day instead of 2x--breaking up his kibble into 1 oz servings (and his peas & carrots). I feel so bad for our Remy--when he feels nauseaous, he looks so sad! He's better after being awake for awhile--playful and enjoying his long walks.

Does anyone have experience with this condition? Am I doing all I can?

God bless and Happy Easter!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have a Dog with Acid Reflux?

@Gracies Mom wrote:

Hello!

Does anyone have a dog with acid reflux?

Our Chihuahua mix had been vomiting in the morning--sometimes just yellow saliva--sometime part of his breakfast.Took him to the vet yesterday--and she said he has acid reflux. He needs to lose 3 lbs (he's 16 lbs--down from 17 lbs),but otherwise is fine--he just turned 2 years old. The vet gave him the anti-nausea drug Cerenia to be taken for 4 days--and 5mg of Pepcid for 7 days (twice a day)-- then we'll see. Also have to feed him 3x a day instead of 2x--breaking up his kibble into 1 oz servings (and his peas & carrots). I feel so bad for our Remy--when he feels nauseaous, he looks so sad! He's better after being awake for awhile--playful and enjoying his long walks.

Does anyone have experience with this condition? Am I doing all I can?

God bless and Happy Easter!!

Hello! I'm so sorry to hear this.  I had a dog who had megaesophagus, not acid reflux, but it sounds similar in the symptoms.  My dog had to be fed small, semi soft meals at more frequent intervals.  Are you able to hold Remy upright for awhile? This allows the food to get to the stomach, be digested and, hopefully,  stay down.  Of interest you may want to Google "Bailey chair". It aids in helping dogs with some digestive issues.  Good luck and hang in there! 

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom   I did have a beagle many years ago who had digestive issues as a puppy. She'd eat her meal very fast. We fed her only 1/3 at a time, let it "go down" and gave her some more. The vet also suggested crated her for an hour after eating & potty time so she'd stay quiet and her food would digest more easily. Sorry your pup is having issues. 

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom   I have a friend whose dog has had this problem for a long time.  I know she gives her Pepcid every day.  She also puts water in her kibble to make it softer.  It doesn't completely solve the problem though.  I'll ask her if she does anything else.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Yes, we have 5 chi mixes right now and 3 of them throw up in the morning every once in awhile from acid reflux.   We also had 2 minpins who did it too.

We have made 2 observations over the years:

1. It has happened more often than not when they have been sleeping under blankets, which these breeds all tend to do.

2. It also tends to happen more if we don't give them a treat at bedtime so they have something in their stomachs overnight.  We give some baby carrots or a biscuit.  

I hope your baby feels better soon. 

Honored Contributor

We had a pup who ate too fast and threw up.  I got him one of those bowls with dividers that slow them down.

Valued Contributor

Tori...

Your comment mirrors what's happening with our Remy--he is also a Chihuahua-Min-Pin mix--like your dogs! And yes, he sleeps under a ton of blankets in his crate--just as you described.

The vet felt we should feed Remy later in the evening--he gets his dinner at 6pm--and bedtime is 11pm. Right now he still gets his dinner at 6pm---and his Pepcid just before he goes to bed--I put it in a pill pocket, but maybe will also give him a small treat along with it so there's something more in his tummy over night. Remy loves baby carrots!

I'm gathering that acid reflux is common in our type of small dogs---I'm sorry you've had this happen to your fur babies too--but am a bit relieved that it's not just Remy this happens to--and it's not unusual. Makes me wonder if this condition is inherent in these breeds?

Thanks so much...you made me feel less anxious about this problem!!

Respected Contributor

I've had a couple pups who would vomit bile in the morning if their bellies were too empty.  An early breakfast helps keep them on the right track.

Valued Contributor

Thank you NickNack for your input! Yes, I would very much like to know what else your friend might do for her dog, besides Pepcid and wetting down the kibble.

Much appreciated!!!!!

Valued Contributor

@Gracies Mom  My dog had acid reflux too. I felt so bad for him with the nausea too. Serena is great for nausea.  Pepcid worked very well for him. Along with feeding him 1/3 of his meal, some days just boiled chicken, small amount of rice/peas. Elevate his water dish,&his food bowl too. We also used Carafate Sufalcrate as needed , it coated his stomache/esophagus when he was really on a bad stretch of reflux. I liquefied the pill in warm water (vet said less irritation on stomach) & used a syringe she gave me. 

Hope your boy feels better soon!