Honored Contributor

I have a  huge fenced back yard like a park....trails, paths, trees, grass...dog heaven.  Yet, when I put my two dogs  outside for a bit.....they sit at the door wanting to come in!  I tell them "GO PLAY!"  And they look at me like "why? We want in the hot house with you!" 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a  huge fenced back yard like a park....trails, paths, trees, grass...dog heaven.  Yet, when I put my two dogs  outside for a bit.....they sit at the door wanting to come in!  I tell them "GO PLAY!"  And they look at me like "why? We want in the hot house with you!" 

@SeaMaiden When we had our dogs they did not want to stay outside either. They were indoor dogs. When they finished their business outside they were at the door wanting back in. 

Honored Contributor

I've never had a dog that didn't prefer to run free in the yard.I have always had rather large dogs.They want to run & sniff and chase everything from birds to squirrels to bunnies.

Respected Contributor

If the weather is good, mine will stay outside.  Too hot now here in Tulsa for them to stay out more than a little bit each time.  We have a doggie door in use only when we are home.  They love that!!

But if someone is outside (in the garage or pool or yard) they will stay out more.  Or even if they both stay out, it seems like they stay out longer.  Neither one wants to be the only one outside!!  Mine are 55lbs and 70lbs, female 2 1/2 yrs old

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden My dogs r the same. We go out in the yard together and they stay there if I do. If I come back in so do they🐶

Esteemed Contributor

My dogs want to be where I am.  If I go outside with them, they will run and play having a great time.  I go inside they want to follow. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My dogs are my shadow. They are with me at every minute.  If they are sleeping on the floor and I stand up, they will wake up and stand up too. They sit down when I sit down.

They follow me to the powder room and wait outside the door.  They are way worse than my children when they were small.

i think your dogs want to be where you are, even if it more comfortable elsewhere.  You are a good dog momma.

Honored Contributor

I have big dogs, I trained them to be a couch potato just like their Mommy!

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

My dog only wants to be outside if I am there with him, except for a quick potty break.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do your dogs do this?

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden I've had one dog that did that. over a third of an acre yard fenced in and he wanted nothing to do with it, lol. Potty and back in, that is what he wanted. He played in the house instead, lol. For a 180lb dog that gets a bit scary, especially when he'd get zoomies but he was fairly graceful for his size.

However, all my other dogs loved to be outside. They loved playing, chasing squirrels and chipmunks (never actually caught them or tried to even though they'd easily be able to catch them). and laying in the grass and sun. One loved to chase butterfly and dragon fly shadows all day long. BUT as they got older, being in the yard is/was less and less important and half the time they want(ed) to come right back in and the other half of the time they still enjoyed the outside.