Valued Contributor

Do you think my dog was dreaming?

I woke up this morning at 5AM to my little chihuahua mix yelping and crying and it was like he couldn't get up on his tummy from laying on his side. I told him he was okay and kept petting and holding him. It was only a few seconds but seemed a lot longer, and it scared the daylights out of me! Then he snuggled up next to me and slept a little longer. When I got out of bed, he jumped off the bed and ran down the stairs. He ate his treat for going outside and I give him a small handful of cereal in the morning before I head out to work and he ate that.

cookin

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think my dog was dreaming?

Sometimes I think they just can't pull themselves up from a sleeping position and get frustrated - is it an older dog?

Trusted Contributor

The first part of your sentence sounded like my dog when she has a bad dream.  She howls, almost like a crying sound.  I wake her, and tell her she's dreaming and pet her for a while to calm her down.  From the last part of your sentence, though, when your pooch couldn't get to the position he wanted, I'm not sure.  Maybe it's a little of both!!!

Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak.  Maybe he was having Abad dream and your touch was reassuring to him.

My family always thought our beagle was dreaming she was chasing rabbits.  Her legs would be "running" and the noise was not a bark but it was the special sound she made when she was on a rabbit.   That little girl lived to hunt.  Even her arthritis did not stop her.  A visitor mentioned her age and moving problems he thought he saw.   We were all sitting on the porch.  A rabbit crossed the yard about then and she flew off the porch and across the yard following it into the woods.  We could hear her on the hunt.  Finally she dragged herself back up on the porch.  The visitor could not believe how fast she could move.  Per our vet, she was in good health for her age except for her arthritis.  She got a baby aspirin per day and we were told not to help her up the steps as long as she could do it herself.  In time she needed a little ramp but she still hunted.  She passed in her sleep one night.  I like to think that she and my husband are up there driving the rabbits crazy again together.  The love between the 2 of them is another story.

Valued Contributor

Probably a dream but, Could it be a seizure?

Was his head jerking?  Was his facing being pulled backwards?  Were his eyes blinking?

The dogs I have had with seizures have not cried out. I have seen Petite and Grand Mals.

I would document it in your daytimer in case it happens again.  Your veterinarian will want to know.  They do not medicate unless there are several episodes, in my experience.

Valued Contributor

@Gram WAaahhhhh...what a wonderful story.  Made me tear up.

Honored Contributor

Was his eyes open? Did he seem awake or still sleeping?

I've had a dog that slept so hard, sometimes it was hard to tell if he was awake or not when doing certain things.

I've had other dogs that had some neck or joint issues that sometimes made it harder for them to get in certain positions and would do similar things. or if their leg had fallen asleep because they were laying on it and, just like we feel, the leg feels weird and a bit painful as it is starting to come back so the dog expressed his dispeasure in that feeling by crying/yelping a bit. 

it could be a multitude of things. It is hard to say without personally seeing what happened.