Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your pet( dog or cat) in for a physical exam at vets yearly?

@m0rgan wrote:

I take mine once a year and have complete blood panels done.  One is 14 in April and one just turned 12.  My 12 year old has addisons disease so it is imperative she have blood panels and sometimes a quick check in between.  My other dog that had addison's years ago (yes blessed with two addisonians, no relation whatsoever) lived to be 15 all but two weeks.  My vet and I both think it was because we were on top of his blood work.  I know it's expensive but we do it.  As far as insurance, I didn't have it for the first addisonian and figured it wouldn't happen twice.  Boy was I wrong!  I am not sure what would have been covered anyhow, by the insurance.  Live and learn.

@m0rgan  Just so you know, the addison's would be covered by insurance as long as it wasn't a pre-existing condition.  I just wanted to let you know this in case you considered it with your next pet.  You sound like a good pet mom.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@m0rgan.  I hearted your words because I enjoyed reading them and I appreciate the care and love you give your furbabies.   Being a parent of 2 and 4 legged children takes love and patience.

Honored Contributor

That is such a good question!

I think a lot of the routine visits and vaccinations are not necessary and probably harmful. I think cats and some breeds of dogs (esp. "mutts') may have less problems than purebreds.

Count me amoungst those that are wary and skeptical these days of all the "necessary" medications and vaccines and visits that they have.

And just recently some flea medication was recalled, so there is another concern.

I just have an older cat now (16/12) who is healthy and still acts like a kitten at times and she has only been to the vet 3 times in her life. Plus taking her takes a herd of lion trainers with protective armor!

I often wonder what I would do now. I would research the vet very carefully and would hope to find one I trust as well as knowing he/she doesn't just try to up the visits and meds to make money!

And I would do a lot of research on my own too!

I feel for every pet owner that has to make these decisions!

@BalletBabe`

why wouldn't you do the microchip again? Because it's surgery? (mine never had any).

And @Annabellethecat66~

I do believe you! My grandcat (now belongs to me) was like that for 151/2 years but is more loving now and only bites maybe twice a year! But she was feral as a kitten) and we all kept her just because like you said, no one else would want her!)

I do think that the pets that have "issues" like addisons or diabetes or any kind of illness, would of course need to go more often.

I like the idea of natural vets too or whatever they are called.

And then figuring out pet insurance or not? Its a lot to think about.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info about insurance.  You never know if you have an addisonian till about 5 or 6 years of age.  At my age these two may be my last but you never know.  Thanks again for the info.

Valued Contributor

@Gram W  Thank you for your kind words.  When we found out she had addisons, my breeder offered to buy her back from me but I loved her and decided I was best qualified to look after and would see all the outward signs she was in trouble.  I never regretted it for one day.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay Every now and then and I mean more then than now....Ha!  She has come to me when I'm sitting and watching TV and want me to pet her and she goes crazy but if I move she runs away!  It's painful to my ego because of course when you show affection it's nice to get it back but every cat owner knows what dog owners don't understand.  "Just because you pet the cat and love it, that doesn't mean the cat is automatically going to respond".  They really have a mind of their own!  I love her very much and she's very, very attached to her brother.  She grooms him and loves him so much it's weird.  I think she's jealous that he shows me so much affection, really, I do.

They are both microchiped and I have their records.  I've been thinking about getting another small cat but it must be a girl because my big boy is very Alpha-Male.  He's never scratched or have a mean bone in his body.  Everyone loves him so much.  I think a little cat would entertain and play with him.  I worry about his weight because he's typical Tabby cat (orange) which I've read where all they want to do is eat 24/7 and he gets into soooo much trouble!

Respected Contributor

Even as a senior in college when I moved out of the sorority house and got my own apartment--and cat!--I took her for annual shots. We have eight cats and still do. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66~

Isn't it amazing how different cats are?

I've only known the super friendly, loving, purring, lap cats most of my life so this one now was orginally (and still is at times) a total surprise!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@m0rgan.  My grandpuppy is a Maltese with top of the line credentials.  Before he turned 1 he went blind.  We notified the breeder so he would have record of this happening.  He wanted to give us another puppy.  Of course we said no.  He is such a lovable delight and he is doing great at 6.   Everyone has to remember to put furniture, etc back where it belongs and pick up toys.  ;-).  He adjusted very quickly.  He goes outside by himself to play with the big dog.  I call or toot before going up the driveway in case he is outside so someone can come get him.  He greets all visitors.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

That is such a good question!

I think a lot of the routine visits and vaccinations are not necessary and probably harmful. I think cats and some breeds of dogs (esp. "mutts') may have less problems than purebreds.

Count me amoungst those that are wary and skeptical these days of all the "necessary" medications and vaccines and visits that they have.

And just recently some flea medication was recalled, so there is another concern.

I just have an older cat now (16/12) who is healthy and still acts like a kitten at times and she has only been to the vet 3 times in her life. Plus taking her takes a herd of lion trainers with protective armor!

I often wonder what I would do now. I would research the vet very carefully and would hope to find one I trust as well as knowing he/she doesn't just try to up the visits and meds to make money!

And I would do a lot of research on my own too!

I feel for every pet owner that has to make these decisions!

@BalletBabe`

why wouldn't you do the microchip again? Because it's surgery? (mine never had any).

And @Annabellethecat66~

I do believe you! My grandcat (now belongs to me) was like that for 151/2 years but is more loving now and only bites maybe twice a year! But she was feral as a kitten) and we all kept her just because like you said, no one else would want her!)

I do think that the pets that have "issues" like addisons or diabetes or any kind of illness, would of course need to go more often.

I like the idea of natural vets too or whatever they are called.

And then figuring out pet insurance or not? Its a lot to think about.

@on the bay  I guess the reason I would not micro chip is because again, I think it is a racket.  My dog is always with me.  I have a fenced in yard and she hates it outside.  It is go and the let me back in!  LOL  I never let her out without a leash, but a few times she snuck out the garage door (when I was out) She never leaves my side.