Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your pet( dog or cat) in for a physical exam at vets yearly?

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Catty2 wrote:

I take my 10 year old dog in every year for her annual exam.  FYI, I buy her heartworm meds from 1-800-PET MEDS and it's much cheaper.  They just ask for the name of your vet when you place your order. 

@Catty2I would highly recommend Drs. Foster and smith or kv vet supply-both which tend to be even cheaper. I've been ordering from both o them for years. Drs.has a sale too usually in early spring and it is like 15% more off than their usual price. I stock up a year's worth at that time for both my dogs as they are 135+ lbs so they need two different sizes each and it gets real pricey!

I use Drs. Foster and Smith, too.  I ocassionally use KV Vet, but Drs. F&S is usually a little bit cheaper.  I've also used them for years--maybe around 20 years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Sound advice Scoop.  I taket my dog twice annualy as well.  My first dog had diabetes and later cancer, second dog went to the vet 7 times for a "cyst" that was actually a mast cell tumor.  He eventually succumbed to Cancer and my current dog has bad allergies.  

In reading up on animal health care (both sides) I choose to bring my dogs bi-annualy so the things that come along later in life can be dealt with before it's too late.  They age so much more quickly than we do, if I get an annual checkup then they should go at least twice a year.  

The most sound advice I ever received was from a vet. Oncologist who told me to have blood work done twice annualy and an ultrasound and chest xray once a year.  Blood tells you whats going on and the pictures confirm.  

There is nothing more important than health.  I've been told my animals get better health care than some children.  I agreed to care for the dog, I spare no expense.  It's my responsibility just like it is a parents responsibility to care for their children. 

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Catty2 wrote:

I take my 10 year old dog in every year for her annual exam.  FYI, I buy her heartworm meds from 1-800-PET MEDS and it's much cheaper.  They just ask for the name of your vet when you place your order. 

@Catty2I would highly recommend Drs. Foster and smith or kv vet supply-both which tend to be even cheaper. I've been ordering from both o them for years. Drs.has a sale too usually in early spring and it is like 15% more off than their usual price. I stock up a year's worth at that time for both my dogs as they are 135+ lbs so they need two different sizes each and it gets real pricey!

I use Drs. Foster and Smith, too.  I ocassionally use KV Vet, but Drs. F&S is usually a little bit cheaper.  I've also used them for years--maybe around 20 years.

@NickNack I agree, Drs F&S tend to be cheaper these days. Many years ago, KV was cheaper but they've really grown and I noticed their prices are often higher and they rarely give out promo codes or have sales, unlike DF&S which seems to have sales and such quite often these days, especially since Petco bought them.  I love DrsF&S!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tends2dogs  Please tell me the downside of micro chipping. I never heard anything negative about it. Thank you! 

@SeaMaiden  These are two articles on this:

Dogsnaturally.com    Microchips: Are petowners being misled?

Mercola.com     How safe are microchips?  11/14/2009

At the bottom of the articles it says not to copy or reprint without permission, so won't. 

There is a risk of cancer/tumor at the sight of injection, possibility of bleeding, infection, etc.  Because it is a foreign object, there is always the possibility of rejection.  Also, there have been cases where the chips have migrated, for example to the abdomen, to the brain stem.  Something that I found equally disturbing was that all scanners are not compatible with all chips, therefore some chipped animals may not be able to be scanned because of this.  Apparently there have been cases where dogs have been put down in shelters because their chip couldn't be read.  How can you be sure that your pet's chip will be scanned if it need be?  I guess you can't.

One other item of concern would be for a pet owner if they are EMF pollution sensitive.  They recounted a case where an owner couldn't be around her chipped pet because she would become nerve jangled. ( I am not familiar with that term, but it sounds terrible )  She had to have the chip removed from her cat.   

I have had 6 dogs and only one was microchipped at the time of neutering.  He died from lymphoma.  I am not saying that is what caused that.  I am more inclined to attribute that to his receiving a rabies only a couple months prior to diagnosis.  I am sure he was immunized for rabies, but those stupid booster laws for rabies forced me to revaccinated him in order to received a license. 

I think we, as our pets caregivers, owe it to them to research what and how we are going to do to and for them.  Ask questions of your vet.  If their answers don't line up with the conclusions you have come to after looking into things, find another vet.  It can be done. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have five cats. The younger ones go to the vet once a year; one of our seniors goes twice a year and our other one (will be 21 years old in February) goes in 4 times a year, just to make sure she's still going OK with walking, eating, peeing, and pooping. We just lost our 20-year-old's brother at the end of September and we'd like to keep her going for as long as we can.

They get dentals when needed, they get everything they need. They only drink spring water, never anything from the tap.

The beagle goes in every year, too. She's on special food that we buy from the vet because of urinary tract infections. She drinks only spring water as well.

My dogs, yes.  My cat, no.  Jasper (cat) never leaves the house.  He doesn't go outside, no wild animals, i know what he eats and puts in his mouth, etc.  As for the dogs, yes.  My older dog (Sadie) will be approx 15 in March.  I take her yearly with her age.  Well, things happen quick; last week her mouth was swollen 3x its size.  Apparently, had teeth issues.  Got impacted and infected.  On Monday she had 5 teeth pulled!!  You can tell she isn't in pain anymore and is so happy.  And so am I becuase her teeth are whiter than mine and has great breath!  My other dog (Augie) was born and raised in a puppy mill the first 5 years of his life.  He has rotting teeth and the worst breath, heart issues, etc.  The vet said due to his heart, he isn't sure about putting him under for teeth removal but if we did it would be to remove all the teeth his has left that haven't fallen out (that woman who ran the puppy mill better say away from me and hope she never sees me)  I think it's highly important to get them checked out especially once they hit senior age.  

Respected Contributor

we had house cats so we never did a wellness check  our dog though are different.  i don't know why, its just something we do.

Esteemed Contributor

I adopted my first beagle in 1977 and started her check-ups with a wonderful vet. Our town has a veterinary college so pet care is far better than human care around here. Over the years, the original vet's son took over the practice and expanded the services and specialties provided. All four of my beagles have benefited from excellent care. For almost 40 years, my husband and I have taken our dogs for their annual check-ups, their shots, and sick visits. If my doctors were as attentive and well trained as my dogs' vets, I'd live forever.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ladyroxanne wrote:

we had house cats so we never did a wellness check  our dog though are different.  i don't know why, its just something we do.

Same here. Our cat was a inside cat. Would go outside on the patio once in awhile. He had a checkup and shots at the vet when we first got him. After that we never took him to the vet unless he was sick. I think he had one issue with a fur ball that made him super sick but that was it. He lived to almost 18 years old.

Dogs are different because you take them out more. Can't take a chance of them biting someone and not having rabies. Heartworm is so hard on the dog and is totally preventable. Vets are so much more expensive now because we treat them like we would our children.

Honored Contributor

Yes, both of our dogs see the vet yearly, and are always current on their vaccinations.   The oldest dog has had heartworm, and the younger dog had a severe case of hookworm when we got him.   We do our best to keep them healthy.