Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you or can you skip vaccinations for 13 yr old dog

@geegerbee   There are vets out there that don't push shots on their clients and will still see them for a check up, etc.  I have and have had other vets that know how I feel about over vaccinating and have never pushed it and still cared for my pet.

I have been to two different vet hospitals for different reasons, non emergency.  I was never asked if my dog's shots were up to date.  

It isn't about the health or safety of the pet.  It is about money.  If it is about the health, either they didn't pay attention that day in class or they aren't teaching the responsible thing to do.  But then again, vet schools are funded by the pet food companies and the pet med companies.  

I know you will do the right thing for your dog.  All the best.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

My groomer will not groom dogs that don't have a rabies shot.  I have to bring in the certificate when she gets vaccinated 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

My groomer will not groom dogs that don't have a rabies shot.  I have to bring in the certificate when she gets vaccinated 

Mine too, and I'm glad she insists on it. Who know what previous animals have brought in with them?

Respected Contributor

Groomer. But they may not do it without proof of Rabies vaccination.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned the hard way with a toddler and a neighbor's elder dog who didn't have rabies vaccines any more.

No doubt the dog didn't appreciate a two year old, but it was not a pleasant story.  Doctors may report bites.

Dont put your dog through this.

Respected Contributor

We stopped vaccines at age 12.  She does continue to take heartguard. 

Valued Contributor

At your pup's age I would avoid vaccines. As far as nails go, Chewy.com has a great pair of clippers for faint-of-heart owners that are really easy to use. I thought I could never cut my fussy baby's toenails, but took the plunge with this inexpensive clipper and it was way easier than I thought. The clippers are by a company named Frisco, they have Japanese blades and green rubber handles. They cost about $11.