Trusted Contributor

Do you or can you skip vaccinations for 13 yr old dog

My vet won't let any clients in right now. They come out to your parked car and take your dog inside. I postponed doing this because I always want to be there to comfort my dog who gets overcome wth anxiety. One of my 13 yr old dogs is due for a 3yr rabies shot and a leptospirosis vaccine. She never leaves our yard. I really don't want to get her the vaccines, but she does need her toenails cut. I don't think they will do that unless I get her the vaccines. What to do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you or can you skip vaccinations for 13 yr old dog

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

My vet won't let any clients in right now. They come out to your parked car and take your dog inside. I postponed doing this because I always want to be there to comfort my dog who gets overcome wth anxiety. One of my 13 yr old dogs is due for a 3yr rabies shot and a leptospirosis vaccine. She never leaves our yard. I really don't want to get her the vaccines, but she does need her toenails cut. I don't think they will do that unless I get her the vaccines. What to do?

@geegerbee   No more vaccinations for your  old pup! 

http://yourpetsneedthis.com/no-vaccines-for-senior-pets/

Respected Contributor

why not just take her to the groomer for the toenails?  usually cost $5 here.  we actually have a woman who has a stand alone little kiosk (think coffee drive thru) and all she does is cut nails.  always busy there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee , thank you for posting this.  My Lab is 13 next week and Still does walks and swims on our property.  When the walks stop, we will atop the vaccines.  LM

Honored Contributor

I have had my vet write an "excuse" for my elderly cats with medical conditions since my city requires vaccinations.  Not that they go around checking as long as you don't have an escape artist.  But, my cats are indoor-only.

Some things to consider.  Usually, the vaccination appointment is more than that.  It is a chance for your vet to get a hands-on look and listen to your pet.  Without that, your pet may be harboring some disease that could be easily treated.  

Also, although your pet only goes in your back yard, how secure is your backyard from other animals including wildlife which may harbor rabies?  Around here coyotes are an issue, and I live in a suburban neighborhood.  They can easily jump a 6-foot fence.  I have actually witnessed a fox do so with my fence.  Also, there's bats.  So, it's not just about your dog staying in the yard, but what he might come in contact with while in the yard.

Even for my cats, there's the chance that they might dart out the door, but luckily, I have not had a problem with my current crew.  One loves to it at the screen door and look out and the other greets me when I come in the front door, but he's blind and not very fast. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee   Your Vet will probably start letting clients come in soon if they're wearing a mask.  My Vet started allowing that this month.  None of my dogs have ever had the leptospirosis vaccine.  It's a non-core vaccine and is only recommended for at-risk dogs.  My Vet now and vets in the past have never suggested giving it to my dogs.  Your dog may not need it.  Here is an excerpt from the akc.org website:

In the United States, Leptospirosis is in the environment because it is carried in rats, wildlife, as well as domestic livestock. More cases are seen in late summer and fall and often after heavy rainfalls. Leptospira is known to exist in standing water, dampness, and mud. Winter conditions tend to lower the risk because Leptospira do not tolerate freezing temperatures.

Pets can become infected through contact with urine of infected animals such as raccoons, skunks, rats, feral cats, dogs, and other animals. Often, dogs contract the disease by swimming in stagnant water or drinking contaminated water in puddles.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee  Skip the vaccinations.  I would find another way to get your dogs nails clipped.

We are taking our guy in next week for a check up and blood work.  I asked right off if we could come in with him.  (I wouldn't have gone if we couldn't)  Anyway, she said absolutely we could come in and wear a mask.  She said it is too traumatic for the pet to not be with the pet parent.  Of course, this is a holistic vet that we go to.  We are having a rabies titer done on him at this time.  He is exempt from vaccinations because he had a bad reaction from the last one.  He has reactions from every chemical he has ever been given such as heartworm.  It says right on the package of the vaccines that they should only be given to a healthy animal.  I wonder how many unhealthy animals have been vaccinated, not to mention several at one time........TOO MANY!  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

@geegerbee - I just asked DH (a veterinarian). He said don't skip the vaccinations. They can get sick easily and you don't want that to happen. FWIW. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee -

If it was me, I wouldn't. I think your instincts are right.

And for toenails have you tried the battery operated dog nail trimmer?

You can get from Bell and howell or Chewy.com and other sites as well.

We used it on our dogs.

Premium Painless Nail Clipper for Pets - All Size Dogs & Cats | Inspire Uplift

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Hi @geegerbee 

My indoor only cat Shadow is fully vaccinated...I only do so as a precaution, he never goes out, I have to literally step over him if I go out the back patio sliding glass doors...

but that said, if I happen upon a feral or stray in distress, I know me & it will be in my home & thus exposing him (at least until I can get it help).

However - I'm going to agree with the other folks - get the nails done in a groomer and forego the vaxxes for now, your ol poochie has you watching over her closely...I am more than sure she will be just fine.