Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have your senior dog vaccinated?

@drizzelllawrote:

We got our rescue dog when he was maybe 6 years old. The paper work for him had different years, so we were never sure.

The dog had never been to the Vet during his first 6 years.

The poor dog was blasted with all his shots at one time by the Vet before we picked up the dog. The dog had a rough time after getting all the shots at once. Plus he had Lymes so he was on heavy duty antibiotics too.

We tried our best to slow the pace of the vaccines and shots the Vets wanted to give him. We even changed Vets. But it didn't matter every Vet seemed to want to give an annual routine of shots. Plus the groomer insisted to have all shots given annually and the dog license.

The poor dog did not handle the shots well. He seemed to be affected for several days after he got the shots. But as much as we tried to pace the shots, the Vet, groomer and County had their own opinion. And ours didn't count.

@drizzellla

Have you tried spacing the shots out over a week or two instead of giving all at once?

That's what I have to do with one of my cats who is very sensitive. He gets the rabies separately from the rest--usually two weeks later. He tolerates them all well that way and has no reaction at all.

It does mean an extra trip to the vet, but no extra expense and it's in and out quickly.

Honored Contributor

@ECBGwrote:

We always have our dogs vaccinated. I would hate a baby suffer because they didn't get a shot! They are too precious!

On the other hand they could suffer from being over vaccinated. It's a big money making opportunity for vets.

We stopped when our last dog got to be older. It wasn't necessary since she wasn't being boarded and was at home with us all the time.

Honored Contributor

My dog is 11 and I always have him vaccinated. I want him as long as possible. I can't imagine how I'd feel if he died of something that a vaccine or medication would have prevented.

Honored Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

@drizzelllawrote:

We got our rescue dog when he was maybe 6 years old. The paper work for him had different years, so we were never sure.

The dog had never been to the Vet during his first 6 years.

The poor dog was blasted with all his shots at one time by the Vet before we picked up the dog. The dog had a rough time after getting all the shots at once. Plus he had Lymes so he was on heavy duty antibiotics too.

We tried our best to slow the pace of the vaccines and shots the Vets wanted to give him. We even changed Vets. But it didn't matter every Vet seemed to want to give an annual routine of shots. Plus the groomer insisted to have all shots given annually and the dog license.

The poor dog did not handle the shots well. He seemed to be affected for several days after he got the shots. But as much as we tried to pace the shots, the Vet, groomer and County had their own opinion. And ours didn't count.

@drizzellla

Have you tried spacing the shots out over a week or two instead of giving all at once?

That's what I have to do with one of my cats who is very sensitive. He gets the rabies separately from the rest--usually two weeks later. He tolerates them all well that way and has no reaction at all.

It does mean an extra trip to the vet, but no extra expense and it's in and out quickly.

@geezeretteGood Point

It took alot of talking but we finally got the Vet to agree to spacing the shots. And yes they did charge us for EVERY Vet visit. I think that is the only reason they agreed to doing that. They would get additional money from us.

Honored Contributor

My seniors are gone now ,all my goldens once they got to be 7,or 8,i stopped every vaccine except rabies.My clancy that is 15 months old , gets his ,but only a few,i do not by into all the ones the vets want you to get.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9wrote:

@ECBGwrote:

We always have our dogs vaccinated. I would hate a baby suffer because they didn't get a shot! They are too precious!

On the other hand they could suffer from being over vaccinated. It's a big money making opportunity for vets.

We stopped when our last dog got to be older. It wasn't necessary since she wasn't being boarded and was at home with us all the time.

Yes,people need to realize this.

Honored Contributor

All our senior dogs have been vaccinated, blood work kept up tp date and yearly physicals.

Why would you not continue to care for the health of your pet just because it's older? If anything, they require more health care and checkups.

DH and I haven't stopped having doc visits and Covid vaccines, blood work, etc. just because we've gotten older. I'd think it's the same with our senior animals.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, Research this subject, are dogs build up immunity.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbestSome vaccines for keenel cough (if your dog goes to daycare or kenneled whi le on vacation) is kept up for older dogs. Lyme disease vaccines and others are also continued.

I trust my vet to decide what's needed to keep Molly healthy.