Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have "conversations" with your pets?

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't know (or trust) anyone who DOESN't converse with their pets. Cat Wink

And boy, am I familiar with the cat outside the shower thing!  I swear one cat I had called me an unmentionable cat word when I didn't heed her warning about the downpour of water...she was very indignant!  LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

Yes, but lets keep it a secret.Woman LOL

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , OMG, I had this same conversation with Sophie (cat) this morning. The dog often joins us as well. They both think no one should be unaccompanied to the "facilities".  

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Wait until she sees you in the shower!  You will feel like she is judging you as you stand naked and prefering not to be watched.  She will be horrified that you are being drenched by water (most cats HATE water on them - love to play with it coming out of the faucet, as long as they don't get a drop on them).  She will watch in horror as you are trapped in a glass box being drenched with an unending stream of water.  I'll be anxious to know how that conversation goes.  Ha!

@Havarti   I've never owned a kitty and always wonder, since I've heard they hate water, I assume they don't get a bath. Is the cleaning w/ tongue they do on themselves enough to keep them clean? Fur balls, I know is an issue.

Honored Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

OH YES!!!  CONSTANTLY!!!  Anyone looking in would be calling the Rubber Room People to come and get me for having conversations with the Dog. Smiley Very HappySmiley EmbarassedSmiley LOL

@Mistic   The Rubber Room People would need a large van. Sounds like they'd take most of us away. Lol

Respected Contributor

I frequently have my cats call out to "Daddy" when I pick them up.  "Daddy, Mommy's got me!"  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

Yes, cats are very good a keeping themselves clean by licking.  Interestingly, most people that are allergic to cats are actually reacting to the dried saliva on the cat's coat - not the actual fur of the cat.  When the saliva dries, it leaves almost invisible little crystals that can fall off on furniture, carpet/rugs, clothing, etc. and that is what causes some people to react.  Most cats do not like to get wet (other than licking themselves) but they do like water.  They will play with water coming out of a faucet - the will also play with water in a toilet bowl (ick!...always flush immediately - even more important if you live with a cat ).  There are exceptions, a few cats are good with water getting on them, but most hate it.  

Whenever I adopt a new cat (I adopt older cats) I always take them to be groomed at a groomers who gives the cat a full bath, cleans its ears, etc. and trims the nails/claws.  Who knows where the cat has been, so I want a clean start.  After that initial bath I let the cat do its own grooming and they do an excellent job!  Later in life, when they are showing signs of dying or severe sickness, poor self-grooming is a sign of how bad they are feeling.

Some cats do develop hair balls, and they hack them up in a most unpleasant fashion.  Often, if given butter to lick, the hair balls will move smoothly through their system and disappear in the litter box.  The longer the fur the more likely they are to develop fur balls.  But, even shorthaired cats can have that problem.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti   Thanks so much for this info. It answered a lot of questions. My DH is allergic to cats...the saliva on fur, so we've stayed w/ short haired dogs. I do remember my DIL had a gorgeous kitty, but when she got pregnant, the OB said the litter could be harmful to the unborn baby (?). She sadly opted to give her cat to a friend. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Havarti   Thanks so much for this info. It answered a lot of questions. My DH is allergic to cats...the saliva on fur, so we've stayed w/ short haired dogs. I do remember my DIL had a gorgeous kitty, but when she got pregnant, the OB said the litter could be harmful to the unborn baby (?). She sadly opted to give her cat to a friend. 

@Shanus   Cat feces can be dangerous to unborn babies.  Pregnant women are advised not to change the litter box.  Cat feces can contain a parasite called toxoplasmosis.  The doctor should have explained that to your DIL.  Her husband could have taken care of the litter box during that time.  I've never heard of kittens being harmful to unborn babies.  I just Googled it to see if there was something I didn't know about and found nothing except the toxoplasmosis, which I've heard about for years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   My son changed the litter for several months, but not a cat person either and grossed him out. At the time, they lived in a tiny apartment and the litter box was in their only bathroom.