Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have "conversations" with your pets?

@Havarti   DD has had that experience already.  Petunia jumped on the back ledge of the tub while she was showering.

Years ago when my joints were intact I would be in the tub and my orange male woud sit on the side of the tub and bat at bubbles.

We had many "talks".  I was waiting for him to fall in.  He didn't.

He also like to watch DH pee.  On his back legs watching, eyes like saucers.  I told DH he better hope a paw didn't get grabby.  I wasn't about to explain those wounds in an ER.

Trusted Contributor

OMG, I talk to Zeke, my Springer Spaniel, all the time. I started talking to him when we first got him. That was eleven years ago when he was only eight weeks old. Now that I'm retired, we are home together most days. We have great " conversations". I think the more you talk to your pets, the more they understand. He makes for great company.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife Oh that is adorable! My late DH used to do that with one of our cats. Said cat was kind of stupid but he was so darn cute and sweet! I used to sing songs to him. I'd take a regular song and make up kitty-related lyrics! DH laughed but I did it for years with all our cats.

Respected Contributor

Retired - I ADORE your adventures with Petunia - everytime you post I am delighted by the story.

You are a terrific petmom - MY KINDA PERSON; One that GETS PETS, their thoughts, actions, trials, tribulations... all of it - you get it!!!!

Super Contributor

Yes, I certainly did when my Cocker Spaniel was alive. Every day.

Also, I want to tell you that I LOVE reading your posts, retired legal secretary! You seem like a delightful person with a great sense of humor. 

P.S. Petunia is lucky to have you!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think Petunia got that extra hour of sleep.  She is in rare form.  I may have to move the cat tree. It's in front of a 6x4 foot kitchen window. Far away from food prep area but close to a tall jelly cabinet.

Someone, we all know and love, will end up on top of it and we will have a "CATastrophe."  Lots of breakables.

Her new thing is to gently put her paws on DD's face in the middle of the night, and then bite her nose.  She left a mark.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, we have conversations. It'd be rude not to speak w/ a member of your family. I've always read to my beagles as puppies to get them accustomed to my voice, but it also soothed them. 

As they got older, they spoke back w/ their eyes and expressions on their faces...no joke. They walk up to me w/ head tilted exactly 5 minutes before their meal time to remind me. At 11PM, they'd put their toys in their dog bed to let me know it's bedtime in my bed and they've cleaned up their family room things.

OK, some may say habit. I disagree. If you know your pet very well and spend a lot of time together, there's a special bond formed...the words may not be spoken, but definitely I know what Molly wants/needs and is "saying" & she understands when I need her near me without a word said. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just yesterday I checked with grand pup about flavor of treats to get.  Her mom is so mean......

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, everyday and often.  And if I really want to make a point I start with "Alfie, Look!"  That really gets his attention.  Sometimes I even sing to him and he seems to like that.  Pets love your undivided attention and talking to them is just one more way to show them you care.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Yes and I get answers as well.  I say "bye, bye in the car and my little dog goes straight to the drawer of my kitchen hutch that contains his leash.