Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a Standard Poodle?

@HappyDaze wrote:

No but at some point I will probably get one. They are one of the most intelligent dogs, if not the most intelligent, plus they are hypoallergenic becaue they have hair instead of fur! I a not a fan of the smaller poodles but the standards are gorgeous.

They are very smart, but the Border Collie is #1 in intelligence.

And they're not completely hypoallergenic, as people can also have allergies to an animal's dander (skin flakes, like we have) saliva, and/or fur.

Old English Sheepdogs also have hair, BTW. 

Standards are nice dogs, but my heart adores Goldens.  I prefer when SP's are "puppy cut" (not show cut), as they look and feel like giant plush animal toys.

Respected Contributor

You are so right.  I had a 17 pound poodle, the love of my life.  He lived a long, glorious life to 18 years.  He was exceptionally loyal to everyone in the family  The only time he yapped was when someone or something was in my yard.  He was terrifically protective.  I never needed a morning alarm clock because when the morning newspaper was delivered to my door the dog would sound the alarm.  He was very smart and very single minded.  He was at my side at all times - you can never expect to put a poodle in one room and expect them to stay there while you moved around the house.  The poodle will never stand for it.  After more than 20 years I still miss him.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For over 45 years I have had a variety of different breeds of dogs and cats.

Many years ago I had 2 Standards and 2 miniature poodles.

They were absolutely beautiful, wonderful pets, and  very obedient.

Easy to train.

Also very affection, and highly protective dogs.

I have sizable property and a very long fenced in run area which they all loved to use. 

They also socialized quite well with other dogs while outdoors, and to this day although I have 2 large pro trained guard dogs whom I love dearly, I still miss the poodles.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

No but at some point I will probably get one. They are one of the most intelligent dogs, if not the most intelligent, plus they are hypoallergenic becaue they have hair instead of fur! I a not a fan of the smaller poodles but the standards are gorgeous.

They are very smart, but the Border Collie is #1 in intelligence.

And they're not completely hypoallergenic, as people can also have allergies to an animal's dander (skin flakes, like we have) saliva, and/or fur.

Old English Sheepdogs also have hair, BTW. 

Standards are nice dogs, but my heart adores Goldens.  I prefer when SP's are "puppy cut" (not show cut), as they look and feel like giant plush animal toys.

LOL a bit of splitting hairs here. I never said they were completely anything or that they were the only one that had hair. And I also clairified that they were one of the most intelligent and did not definitively state they are THE number one.

Anyway.....I prefer the non-show cut look as well. I really cannot stand the puff ball cut. I think it looks silly. Okay, stupid.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

You are so right.  I had a 17 pound poodle, the love of my life.  He lived a long, glorious life to 18 years.  He was exceptionally loyal to everyone in the family  The only time he yapped was when someone or something was in my yard.  He was terrifically protective.  I never needed a morning alarm clock because when the morning newspaper was delivered to my door the dog would sound the alarm.  He was very smart and very single minded.  He was at my side at all times - you can never expect to put a poodle in one room and expect them to stay there while you moved around the house.  The poodle will never stand for it.  After more than 20 years I still miss him.  

We never do get over our beloved pets completely do we? Smiley Sad

Contributor

Yes, I have two also -- a black standard and a brown and white parti standard.  Love them both!  Great dogs.  I also have a basset hound.  All great dogs!  Very lovable!!

Super Contributor

I have never had a Standard Poodle, but my grandmother had three of them, and they

were brilliant, but I've never had or seen a Poodle that wasn't very intelligent. I have

always had very small ones and a pocket-size.

I adore the breed!