Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like a slave to your dogs?

Yes I do spend a lot of time on my two dogs.  One has become blind and takes extra effort. When I get frustrated and lose patience with her I stop and think how I would feel if this happened to me. The happiness animals bring to our lives far outweighs the effort they take. So yes @SeaMaiden they do kinda run my life,too. Like you, I don't mind.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I have a Kitty...........and sometimes I wish she could open the fridge and just help herself to a snack.........................

Yes that would be good..but the sound of the fridge opening and closing 60 times a day might be annoying. I know your Kitty the Fuzz!!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I totally understand your question.....and my answer is YES!

We cannot live without dogs; we love them.  They enrich our lives,

they are magnificient, noble creatures.

We have rarely taken trips together that aren't road trips due to dogs.

The few and far between boarding situations made us worry so much.

Friends who have volunteered to take care of them are very kind, but

I wouldn't trust them because I have seen how careless they are with

their own dogs.

After a medical emergency with our son's dog in Dec., my husband said

he doesn't know if he wants another dog after our own dog is no longer with us.

The next day, he changed his mind!

But yes, there are times when we wish we weren't such "slaves" to our dogs.

My husband went to Spain last year with our sons while I stayed with the dogs.

It was fine; it made it a wonderful guys trip.  (yes I was invited)

I'm not trying to be a martyr (I know I sound like one!), but it would be nice to have a little balance.  Maybe a belated new year resolution:

find a satisfactory caretaker.  Our life has become very, very dog-centered.

Honored Contributor

I happen to have FIVE cats..all of whom

I rescued at different times. Had I not

they'd all be dead.

My decison to save them wasn't based

on my need to have more than one cat...

or as you put it..pet.

It was based on the fact that I've

always been a very compassionate and

caring woman and because of that I

will NEVER turn my back on an animal

that is in desperate need of having

it's precious life saved.

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

@beastielove    ♥♥♥♥♥♥  from Kitty the Fuzz and Old Furless

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@beastielove Brava!! Well said and amen. And you ARE a caring compassionate woman.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic and baiting

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, first of all I never understand why anyone thinks they need more than one dog or any pet. I was able to get all the love I needed from one dog at a time. All you do is double up on the workload of owning them - twice as many times to go in & out, twice as many teeth to brush, nails to cut, meals to clean up after,fur everywhere  etc etc etc.  But it is my experience from people where I now live that many people, once their dog or dogs pass away - this is the main reason they don't get another one. They enjoy the freedom of not having them to care for. This certainly is the reason we have not gotten another one. Our lives are so peaceful now without a dog to have to constantly care for.

SPEAK OR YOURSELF! I have 7 animals. All rescues. I love them all and they make me very happy!

Respected Contributor

Sorry, this is a terrible thread.

You can choose to have a pet or not, it's not like they knocked on your door and took residence.

It's total unconditional love.

If you feel/believe you are not able to put 100% into your pet's life, please let someone else care for them.  I do not know of any domesticated animal of any kind that can take care of themselves.

I still can't believe the word "slave" was used in the title.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, first of all I never understand why anyone thinks they need more than one dog or any pet. I was able to get all the love I needed from one dog at a time. All you do is double up on the workload of owning them - twice as many times to go in & out, twice as many teeth to brush, nails to cut, meals to clean up after,fur everywhere  etc etc etc.  But it is my experience from people where I now live that many people, once their dog or dogs pass away - this is the main reason they don't get another one. They enjoy the freedom of not having them to care for. This certainly is the reason we have not gotten another one. Our lives are so peaceful now without a dog to have to constantly care for.

Well, first of all I don't think ANYONE here with multiple pets cares that you don't understand.  Lots about you I don't understand either, and honestly, I'm happy about that.

I love my pets, ALL of them.  Yes indeed, I have more than one!  GASP.

Each one of my pets has their own personalities, and boy, a couple of them are total clowns!  Laughter abounds around here.  The only down side, for me at least, about owning pets is losing them too soon.

Honored Contributor

≈^••^≈    Hello.....mrrrow......it's me, Kitty the Fuzz.   I know I can't go grocery shopping, or cook, or drive myself to the vet.............but I DO KNOW HOW to take care of my mama when SHE is not feeling too hot.    Kitty

♥Surface of the Sun♥