Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do any of you give your pets any probiotics?

Din-O-Vite - Got this for my Jade originally.  Although she had metatastc bone cancer, she was tested at Tufts and both times was told she had the bloodwork, etc. of a much younger dog.

I now give it to Eddy.  He has weakened hind legs, a result of a spine injury.  He's getting stronger everyday.  When he first came here, he could only stand and place his head in my lap.  Yesterday, he put his front paws on my shoulders and pulled me down to him.  When I'm sitting in the rocker he often likes to kiss and nibble my ears (that means he wants a treat) or just likes to kiss (just because) - his reasons for climbing.

It's quite expensive, but I don't give as recommended - just sneak some into his food whenever I can.  So, imho, would recommend this product.  Figure it can't hurt!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme, I heard that name mentioned on the radio before. (Our little one is a Jade).  Thanks for your info for us.

Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely.  I started with our previous dog who had recurring bladder infections.  I also gave her another bladder supplement.  She never had another infection once I began both of those.

Since I saw such good results with her, I started our present dog out immediately with probiotics.  Since her kibble already has some probiotics I give her only half the dosage, otherwise her stool is loose. She is a big, crazy girl that likes to eat inedible things.  I credit the probiotics for helping somewhat to pass all that stuff without incident.

We use VetriScience chews.  It's one of her treats that she gets right after breakfast.  She loves them.

I'm a huge believer in probiotics and have taken them myself for years.

Honored Contributor

Yes I sure do. I buy mine from VitaCost.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. One of our cats had a bout of pancreatitus.

I give him NaturVet Digestive Enzymes plus Probiotics. He won't take the whole chew though; I smash one up with my fingers and mix it into his soft food.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, we do. It's called Prostora, IAMS Veterinary Formula..........15 chewable supplements. The literature says:

"Nutritionally stabilizes dogs with diarrhea

• Promotes a strong, healthy digestive system for overall health and well-being
  • Promotes a healthy microflora balance to help prevent stress
  • Is gentle and comes in a convenient, tasty treat form that your dog will love"

It smells like vanilla and our little toy poodle absolutely loves it. Bonnie's vet recommended it to us. She has inflammatory bowel disease and has not been able to tolerate ANY real dog food. She has tried all manner of special diets (fish, duck, venison, etc.) and is now only able to tolerate rice mixed with cottage cheese. We do also supplement this with a baby vitamin and other meds from the vet. An interesting benefit has been that since she's been taking it, there is no more staining from tears around her eyes. The vet told us that it was because of the Prostora. It's pricey and can be found on Amazon. We give her about one every other day. She will be 14 next June and my husband says that she's the healthiest sick dog that he's ever seen. She leads a happy and all things considered, healthy life. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@OM13 wrote:

Yes, we do. It's called Prostora, IAMS Veterinary Formula..........15 chewable supplements. The literature says:

"Nutritionally stabilizes dogs with diarrhea

• Promotes a strong, healthy digestive system for overall health and well-being
  • Promotes a healthy microflora balance to help prevent stress
  • Is gentle and comes in a convenient, tasty treat form that your dog will love"

It smells like vanilla and our little toy poodle absolutely loves it. Bonnie's vet recommended it to us. She has inflammatory bowel disease and has not been able to tolerate ANY real dog food. She has tried all manner of special diets (fish, duck, venison, etc.) and is now only able to tolerate rice mixed with cottage cheese. We do also supplement this with a baby vitamin and other meds from the vet. An interesting benefit has been that since she's been taking it, there is no more staining from tears around her eyes. The vet told us that it was because of the Prostora. It's pricey and can be found on Amazon. We give her about one every other day. She will be 14 next June and my husband says that she's the healthiest sick dog that he's ever seen. She leads a happy and all things considered, healthy life. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I've copied a lot of this info down. Thanks to all of you all so much. It's all a learning process isn't it?!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, my three goldens get it everyday, you can get plain yogart,or plain kefir,if you prefer this over pills, look for sales on vitacost, and other sites, i am giving human grade sundown acidophilis xtra,at this time.Amazon has it also,good price.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I do give my dog a probiotic (3 billion CFU's).  I was giving him chews from Vitacost, but switched over to a chewable tablet form so I just toss them in with his food.  I found them on Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, my three goldens get it everyday, you can get plain yogart,or plain kefir,if you prefer this over pills, look for sales on vitacost, and other sites, i am giving human grade sundown acidophilis xtra,at this time.Amazon has it also,good price.

I give my Willoughby probiotics (human grade) with every meal.  I just toss them on top of his food.  I also give him enzymes, extra vitamin C, a multi vitamin, a scoop of "green powder", oil, all human grade.  I also, give him yogurt daily.  They haven't affected his stool.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!