Respected Contributor

Re: Do Your Cats Respond To Catnip?

My cat (she's almost 2 years old) doesn't react to catnip at all.  In fact, she seems to ignore any toys have have catnip.

Valued Contributor

My tiger, Aggie doesn’t respond to catnip much. I do have a funny story .years ago my Grandfather sent my father a letter,my mother put it on the dining room table, when  my Father  got home he went to open the letter, the letter was literally shredded by our car, apparently  Grandfather had put some catnip in rhe envelope and mailed it from Vermont to MA. Wonder if the strength of catnip decrease?

Honored Contributor

We had a male that would rip the toy to shreds within a half hour of giving it to him.

The two females we had didn't want anything to do with it.

Our last female did however love an Italian Seasoning blend that came in a plastic bag that I left out on the table one day!

Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@NickNack-

I was just thinking about this.

Cats I've had in the past went bananas over catnip.

My 18 year old will play with it sometimes. I've gotten the really good organic kind made in the US (hard to find) and fill it in some netting tied with a bow.

It seems she only responds to it the very first time I put it in, then leaves it alone for a month and may bat it around if I try to get her to notice.

I don't know why they sometimes do or not either.

Once I got her the cat grass and she had no interest but when she got outside once she wouldn't stop eating the grass! She totally ignored me until I put the tuna fish right near her and got her to come back in!

@on the bay  I do have the organic kind that's made in the USA.  The brand that I have is Sojos.  He was very interested in it in the can on the counter but not so much after I put it in the refillable catnip toy.  I guess I'll try rubbing it on the outside of something.

Your 18 year old sounds like the way my Henry reacts.  Maybe he'll just never be that interested in catnip.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My oldest cat Lizzie likes to eat catnip and roll in it, but my youngest, Callie, just looks at her like she's crazy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

My two girls go in spells, for a while they go crazy for it, then they lose interest.  I'm growing my own this year and hope to transplant it outside along the fence so I'll have it for years to come.  Fresh off the plant, it is VERY strong!  I snip a couple leaves off and rub it on their scratchers, then they go to town!

I also have a pot of cat grass growing, they both love that.  One of them eats a lot of it, the other mostly just chews it, but they both really enjoy it.  I buy the oat grass seeds from Amazon and just toss them into a pot with potting soil, in a week it's 8" tall!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Years ago  I had a cat who loved catnip.  He would race around for a few minutes with a wild look then set in his favorite chair by the table with huge eyes and just wobble slowly and every now and then he would open his mouth like he was saying WOW!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack-

I think I'm going to try that too-rubbing it on something!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@NickNack-

I think I'm going to try that too-rubbing it on something!

@on the bay  I just put some in a paper bag and rubbed a little bit on his cardboard scratcher.  There was no reaction.  I guess Henry just doesn't respond to catnip.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My cats enjoy catnip for a while. The more often I gave it to them the less the response.  They also reacted differently. My boy would get all mellow but my girl cat went the other direction.  She thought she was invincable.  If I wasn't watching her she'd wak along the second floor banister and she'd STALK the boy cat.  Funny that,  as he would usually bully her til she'd had enough.  Give her catnip and there was vengence in her eyes and true trepidation in his!  He'd sit on my lap until she calmed down, but it was funny to see the big toughy hiding behind mama!