Honored Contributor

Do You Take Your Dog To A Dog Park?

I've only taken two of mine once. I don't think either really enjoyed it. I've heard so many horror stories about irresponsible owners who don't supervise their animals.. Has anyone had bad experiences?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Take Your Dog To A Dog Park?

There is a large regional dog park near us with a creek for dogs who like the water. We do take our dog sometimes during the week when it's not as busy. My dog doesn't particularly care for other dogs (he's used to cats) but he likes being off his leash even though he sticks close by us. We have not had a bad experience though. The other owners have responded okay if I ask them to call their dog.
Frequent Contributor

After having a mysterious illness and by that I mean 6 weeks of vet care without ever getting a diagnosis I would never take my dog anywhere that I didn't know ALL the dogs. I don't know if my dog contracted the "dog flu" as we called it,  at Petsmart or the dog park. All I know is she was sick for 6 weeks with various symptoms that made her very ill. When you think about it if the pet parent is irresponsible/unaware or if any of the dogs are ill it can be passed around.  No more Petsmart either. Our local store has a vet clinic in the back. I don't understand how your allowed to take a sick dog, through the isle to the back of the store to the clinic. If they have kennel cough or a virus your dog can get it. They should have a separate entrance.

Aside from the illness factor as far as aggressiveness goes, no. But I was very cautious. We only went once. If you were to analize it, you wouldn't get another dog without seeing if your dog got along with it. Now your putting your dog in a situation where it must get along with all the dogs. Its very scary in my opinion.

Valued Contributor

I take mine to our dog park regularly, for the socialization and also exercise.  Neither one is particularly interested in playing with other dogs, but they both get to experience some fresh grass and new smells.  All the dogs we've met have been really nice!  (I don't like a lot of the people, though.) We've always had neighbor dogs just across the fence, so I assume that some "dog germs", dog illness, whatever - could be passed through the chain link fence.  Like with children:  Mine are current on all their meds, shots,  etc.  I can't keep them shut in the house all day to "protect" them from every outside danger.  They would never talk to a stranger; I'm not sure about getting in a strange car, though.  We're still working on that.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't take my Maltese to dog parks, and only go to the regular park if hubby goes with me. We had an incident with someone walking their dog without a leash. It bolted at my dogs when it saw them. My hubby was able to keep it off my dogs and me. We reported the owner to the Park Police.

In a separate incident, a retired gentleman got attacked by a 'friendly" pit bull. He was hospitilized with close to 100 sticthes trying to save his Terrier who survived, but had its leg ripped off. They prsecuted the owner.

I just walk my dogs around my neigborhood where I feel safe.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do, although it is usually empty when I get there.  My older dog is afraid of strange dogs and often reacts badly, however my younger one seems to love every dog and believes everyone loves him.  The two of them run and play together there.  Occasionally  someone else will show up and I will let the younger one play with them.  Not a big fan of large crowds, basically because my dog would be the one in everyones face wanting to play.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

I've never taken my dog to a dog park but went with a friend one time who took her shih tzu.  It was the first time they'd gone.  There was a larger dog running loose who was not behaving very well with the other dogs, so we left.  I love large dogs, but this one wasn't nice.  I would be afraid to take my dog to a dog park after this experience.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

Yes- several days a week. Socialization for both of us. It's a community members-only dog park. We see the same people and dogs all the time. Large, shady and well appointed. Love it and much better than the county dog park just a few miles away.

Respected Contributor

I use to all the time but since the dog flu is making the rounds, my vet said he wouldn't take them anywhere there are other dogs. A cat has it too. It is not in my state yet but I wouldn't take any chances. This flu kills.

Respected Contributor

No.  There are too many variables and I don't want to subject my dog to pooches who may not be up to date on vaccinations or are aggressive.  Instead, my furbaby visits one of the best day care facilities I have encountered.  She is very happy there.  The staff is terrific and when I mention the name of the daycare, my dog goes nuts. Woman LOL  She knows when we are getting near and is beside herself when we drive up.  They are attentive to her and she has lots and lots of buddies to play with.  They are supervised at all times and as she gets older and beginning to show signs of memory loss, this mental stimulation and play are very good for her.

Spoiler

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown