Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Have Pet Insurance for your Dog?

RinaRina, I don't trust vets anymore, either.  I really feel for what you went through, that is terrible!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes, typically the insurance goes up with their age and this is especially true for dogs with shorter lifespans, like the large and giant breeds.

I will never again do insurance as they always tend to blame everything on being genetic so they won't cover it (with certain breeds, genetic pre-dispositions to certain diseases like hip dysplasia for example, can be considered "pre-existing"). I also didn't like the fact that they would not cover any testing until they got the diagnosis and then they would pay-or not pay in most of my cases- because, again, it could be "genetic". I'd hate to think of what they would do if the pet never got a diagnosis of the cause of certain things like UTIs or stomach issues.

I have instead just put aside the money I would have spent every month into an interest bearing account and I know I've saved more money than I spent on insurance. This may not be true if your dog has had issues since a puppy but if they are relatively healhty most of their life, you will find a nice little money pot when they are older and have more health issues. The problem is, most people don't have the discipline to save the money or not "borrow" from the account when they want to buy something, lol.

It sounds like your pets don't need much care, which is really great.

But what if something happens unexpectedly  to a new furbaby before they (the owners)  have accumulated a large enough  health care  nest egg?   Then what?      

What if someone gets a new doggy, and a few months later the pup gets hit by a car ......  or some other serious thing?   Even if they're saving $100 a month, it's nowhere near what the vet bill will be.

It has nothing to do with "discipline" ....   in these cases, a pet insurance policy can be a great SAFETY NET for large, unforeseen Vet bills.

You made alot of assumptions. I've spent several thousand dollars over the past 3 years.

You do what is best for you. OP asked if we have pet insurance for our dogs and I gave her my personal thoughts and experiences. Period.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. At one year old when I started the plan it cost  $340. This year now she is 5 years old it cost $550. Not too bad. The deductible is only $50 and the cap is $22,000.

I have the Pet Plan Gold  plan.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SerenityNowMyndi wrote:

A bit off-topic, but seems like a good place to give a heads-up:  We recently had one of our dogs come down with cancer, and the vet who did her surgery offered chemotherapy.  She did not tell us that the chemo would only extend her life for a few weeks, 2 months is normally the maximum extra time a dog might live, with her particular strain of incurable, terminal cancer.  I found this out by doing my own research.  I thought that was rather low, to not fully explain this & let us assume that she would be cured or at least have a year or more to live.  I just wanted to mention it, so others are forewarned.  We never would have chosen to put her through extra pain & suffering, knowing it was only for a few weeks. I shudder to think that other people may be doing so, never knowing the truth in the matter.  We asked the vet about it, and she admitted that it would only give her a few weeks, at best.  Taking advantage of someone who loves their pet like that is the lowest of the low, in my book.

I know many vets, and they are often caught between a rock and a hard place in situations like these.  Dog (and cat) owners are often not ready to let their pets go and want the vet to do everything possible to save them, sometimes at any cost.  They do not want to know what the animal may go through or the long term prognosis, they think in the moment and want to hang on to them as long as possible. 

Every vet would welcome an honest discussion concerning treatment and quality of life concerns of a sick or injured pet.  A vet will know what the pet may go through, what can be done and what to expect, but most pet owners never ask.  Many do not even want to hear what to expect, they just want their pet back healthy.  It is not about money, it is about following the owners wishes. Many times wishes they may not agree with.

As a pet owner you are the pets advocate for medical care.  It becomes your responsibility to ask questions, hard questions.  No one want to see a pet suffer or struggle in a loosing battle, not you or your vet.  The hardest decision is knowing when to let them go.  People need to use their vet as a guide in this decision, they will not tell you what to do, however they can give you the best information to make a sound decision. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I’m not commenting on pet insurance because we’ve never had it, nor have I ever even looked into the possibility. But I’d just like to also comment on what some of you have already been talking about—just the rising cost of veterinary care in general.

I agree that it’s becoming something to have to consider when thinking about adopting any kind of pet nowadays. I know that everything, well, pretty much everything, is going up in price, especially anything medical related, human and pet. In the past, I never stopped to think about how much the vet bills, medication, and general maintenance of our pets would be. But now I do. We lost our dog several months ago, and although she required quite a few vet visits and medications in her last years, we never had to undergo extensive testing or surgeries. Even then, her yearly vet costs and meds were many hundreds of dollars, over several years. The cat we have is a drop-off that we kept five years ago with the idea that he would get only basic care. Well, even that is getting expensive. Routine teeth cleaning found he has a dental condition and needed two teeth pulled ($$) and the condition will need to be monitored. Who knows what will come as he ages.

All that has led me to add veterinary costs to the list of why I think I’ll probably not be getting another dog. Granted, it’s not the only reason—there are many more. But my point is that finances have never been part of our decision whether or not to have any pets and now it has become something to consider. I know it’s just a fact of life today, but it’s not a pleasant one for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I’m not commenting on pet insurance because we’ve never had it, nor have I ever even looked into the possibility. But I’d just like to also comment on what some of you have already been talking about—just the rising cost of veterinary care in general.

I agree that it’s becoming something to have to consider when thinking about adopting any kind of pet nowadays. I know that everything, well, pretty much everything, is going up in price, especially anything medical related, human and pet. In the past, I never stopped to think about how much the vet bills, medication, and general maintenance of our pets would be. But now I do. We lost our dog several months ago, and although she required quite a few vet visits and medications in her last years, we never had to undergo extensive testing or surgeries. Even then, her yearly vet costs and meds were many hundreds of dollars, over several years. The cat we have is a drop-off that we kept five years ago with the idea that he would get only basic care. Well, even that is getting expensive. Routine teeth cleaning found he has a dental condition and needed two teeth pulled ($$) and the condition will need to be monitored. Who knows what will come as he ages.

All that has led me to add veterinary costs to the list of why I think I’ll probably not be getting another dog. Granted, it’s not the only reason—there are many more. But my point is that finances have never been part of our decision whether or not to have any pets and now it has become something to consider. I know it’s just a fact of life today, but it’s not a pleasant one for me.

Costs were usually never a consideration because there was often not many options available.  A sick or injured pet was usually made comfortable or put to sleep.  Veterinary medicine has made great advances and with those advances come a cost. 

Pet owners can keep costs down with a little effort and knowledge.  Local pet stores often have low cost vaccination clinics. A good diet, lots of exercise, routine grooming all can be done for little cost yet greatly improve your pets health.  A vet understands that clients may have limited funds and can give you alternative treatments or diagnostic options to fit your budget.  You just need to have a realistic conversation.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Many years ago we asked our vet about pet insurance.  His advice:  Don't buy pet insurance; instead set a specific amount of money aside every month and put it in the bank (i.e., savings account).   That's what we did/still do and it works for us.

We've had some large expenses with our pets over the years but have always had the funds available following this plan.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

The most important factor in owning a pet is their diet and lifestyle over the many years you own them. Do not just buy dry Purina Dog chow and throw it in a bowl once or twice a day for years and assume that all you need to add is love. For example,  Costco Kirkland brand dog food is cheap... not nutritious or healthy.  Know what you feed your dog! There are many dry foods that are  better  if you choose to go that route.  Here is a website that will give you ideas of what dry food is a good choice:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-dry-dog-foods/

A GOOD diet ( many to choose from that are  not dry food based only),  good filtered water, and  supplementation with herbs and extra nutrients will help the animals immune system.  It will help with healthy skin, less allergies ear infections and overall good health as they age. 

Taking care of their teeth, brushing their teeth, limiting starchy high carb treats and lots of exercise to maintain their weight will all help in keeping your pet out of the vet office except for the annual exam.

Watch out for over vaccinating your pets. Educate yourself on Vaccines and  what your pet needs and does not need.  There are many vaccine's offered that your pet may not need, but, the vet will offer to you such as the vaccine for kennel  cough. Unless you board your  pet .... this is not necessary but to make money they will offer it to you.  And do not give your pets all their vaccine's in one visit... it is best to just do one at a time and take the time to go back and have another done a few weeks later.

There is always the unknown with health, for both us and our pets... but to be proactive in their and our healthcare is going to be a plus plus any way you look at it.