Respected Contributor

Do You Get Your Furbabies Hoilday Gifts?

I haven't done so but this is my first Christmas with my Lab/Border Collie rescue. She is just a year so likes soft toys that squeak. She the responds to treats well as a reward.  She has been with me five months now and settled in  and alot of fun.My Elder Lab could.care less and was never motivated  by food other than sit and shake for a dog treat occasionally. He doesn't like to wear Doggie jackets either even when well below zero.

So what kind of gifts if any do you purchase for your pets ?  I am looking for ideas and some stories?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Get Your Furbabies Hoilday Gifts?

@Gorgf we had a jack russel who adored gifts.We couldn’t put her gifts under the tree too early as she was constantly sniffing and tearing at them.Christmas morning she was the first to open her gifts and she knew the gifts that were hers.When she was done opening her things she would help the rest of us tear open ours.We usually bought sqeak toys and special treats and a container of tennis balls.She spent a long time getting the container open and really enjoyed the process.The sqeak toys were usually destroyed in a couple of minutes.

Honored Contributor

Our rescue Kingston obviously never had toys before he adopted us and he just adores his squeaky stuffed toys!

He's never torn up any of his treasures, he loves them too much.

At night before bed he puts one in each of our beds (including his!) for comfort, it's so darn cute!

He adopted us on Christmas Eve and he was just in heaven with his toys, beds and blankies, LOL! We could tell he'd never had any of these in his past, abusive residence.

I can't even call that place his past 'home'.

He also got his first sherpa lined jacket, which he adores so much, it's hard to get it off of him after his walks in the cold weather.

So he'll get treats, a new blankie, squeaky toys and he needs a raincoat this year.

Bless you for choosing a rescue!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do.  Toys. 

Their favorite toys are soft squeakers shaped like bones and sheepskin strips...sheepskin pieces cut into strips that they throw up in the air and catch on the way down.

So, I try to find the same type of squeakers and more sheepskin pieces as gifts.

They weren't excited about the sweaters, jackets, coats, and snow boots.  I use them for walks, though.  

They love dried sweet potatoes.  Won't eat other dog treats at all.

My dogs are retrievers and love to play fetch, squeak their toys, and carry them around in their mouths.  

I think the breeds of your dogs might give you a clue as to what they would like.   

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy presents for my dogs and granddogs. I usually pick form the following choices: Bershire throw or any brand that is soft but breathes

stuffed toy that squeaks or which sound the dog prefers if sound at all

jumbo dog biscuits or their favorite dog treats

chew toy or antlers whichever the dog prefers

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

Kingston loves all treats, but dehydrated sweet potatoes and Blue Dog Bakery cookies are his favorites!

The cookies are all natural and I buy boxes of them at most pet stores and grocery stores.

He even likes baked fresh sweet potatoes added to his bowl.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Yes,  I always did when I had my dogs. My last  spaniel loved to tear his open then sport around with a bow on his head... We've been without one for several years now.

Shouldn't be to much longer before we break down and get an adult dog that needs a home..I'm not up to starting from a pup these days.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Valued Contributor

Always have wrapped gifts under the tree and a stocking, too.

Respected Contributor

I sure did!  every one got a stocking with their name on it.  Treats and toys. cat trees and dog beds. One year they all got matching plad bandanas or caps.  Dogs loved their bandanas the kitty didn't care for her cap. but she looked So MOD!  Twiggy Look out!

The lab loved to get sherpa dolls.  He'd take his toy and methodically tear it to shreds.  Never swallowed any of it. I know. I watched.  Every time.  That was the only type of toy he'd chew up and It was his toy so who was I to argue?  He was also the pup who when gifted with a box of chew hooves was allowed to pick out two at a time.  Didn't he ALWAYS pick out a light one and a dark one?  He'd root around in the box looking for the diferent ones!  Loved that silly yellow dog.