Honored Contributor

Divers Free Sea Turtle From Plastic Container

A diver who freed a sea turtle from a plastic container discovered the animal had it wrapped around herself for years, which destroyed her shell.

The sea turtle was discovered by divers after they noticed how strangely the animal was swimming.

When the boat pulled closer to the turtle, they realized she was wrapped up in a plastic container. 

The divers immediately grabbed the sea turtle and pulled her into the boat so they could free her from the marine pollution.

In the video, one diver is heard speaking in Spanish to describe what they are seeing on the turtle's body as they remove the plastic container. 

One man said: 'She has a deformed body. She must've been trapped for many years.' 

The diver holding the turtle in the video is able to cut through the container to free the animal from her plastic prison.

Once the plastic was moved away from the shell, the divers were able to see how deformed the turtle's shell had become.

Parasites also covered the turtle's body around the areas where the plastic used to be.

'She couldn't clean herself because of how she was stuck,' one diver is heard saying. 

The video shows the diver who is holding the turtle start to scrape away some of the parasites before he releases her back into the ocean. 

The turtle's body should now be able to go back to its natural shape after being released from the container, the divers said. 

It is unclear where or when this video was taken. 

Video here:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5639997/Divers-rescue-turtle-shell-deformed-plastic-containe...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Divers Free Sea Turtle From Plastic Container

I didn't watch the video because I'm too tender hearted.  I'm glad he found it and freed it.  I'm sure a lot of sea creatures succumb to garbage in the water.  The diver is a hero to me!!!   Smiley Happy   

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1

Like you, I can't watch a lot of the videos either, but in this one, this grateful turtle is flapping his flippers wildly while the diver cuts the plastic container off, so happy at being freed.

Then when the diver slips him overboard into the water, he's outta sight in seconds!

I had a real feel good moment!

We have GOT to do more to protect our oceans and sea life!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Bless him.

Respected Contributor

That story made my day.  Thanks for sharing!    Heart

Super Contributor

Happy ending for the turtle. Wonderful divers for help her to be free.