Trusted Contributor

I see there is a diffuser on the Lunchtime specials. People with dogs and cats need to know that some oils diffused into the air are lethal to your pets. Just an FYI.

Honored Contributor

Re: Diffusers dangerous to dogs

@geegerbee   I have read this before.  They should come with a warning label.  Better yet, just don't sell them at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee 

Wow!  I just did a long Facebook caution post several days ago on this very subject so I went back to find it to copy and post it here for all...

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Essential Oils use...caution if you have pets:

Use caution when using diffusers & essential oils. A very popular one, Tea Tree, as well as many more are toxic for pets! This includes diffused, topically applied and orally ingested essential oils.

The vets and the poison control are saying that they see these cases often now that the popularity of essential oil is growing.

Please make sure that the essential oils you are burning are NOT toxic for your pets.

Here is a list of essential oils NOT to use if you have a dog at home (also many for cats also so check before using any on or near cats):

Anise (Pimpinella anisum)
Birch (Betula)
Bitter Almond (Prunus dulcis)
Boldo (Peumus boldus)
Calamus (Acorus calamus)
Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora)
Cassia (Cassia fistula)
Citrus
Chenopodium (Chenopodium album)
Cloves (Syzygium aromaticum)
Garlic (Allium sativum)
Goosefoot (Chenopodium murale)
Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana)
Hyssop (Hyssopus sp. with the exception of Decumbens)
Juniper (Juniperus sp. with the exception of Juniper Berry)
Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
Mustard (Brassica juncea)
Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
Pine (Pinus)
Red or White ThymeRue (Ruta graveolens)
Santolina (Santolina chamaecyparissus)
Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
Savory (Satureja)
Sweet Birch (Betula lenta)
Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Terebinth (Pistacia palaestina)
Thuja (Thuja occidentalis)
Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)
Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)

Some Types of Toxicity:

Tea tree: Toxicity symptoms include depression, loss of coordination, paralysis of the rear legs, vomiting, low body temperature, and skin irritation.

Cinnamon: Toxicity symptoms include low blood sugar, liver disease, vomiting, diarrhea, and fluctuations in heart rate.

Citrus: Toxicity symptoms include skin irritation, agitation or lethargy, vomiting, tremors, and seizures.

Pennyroyal: Toxicity symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea—often bloody—as a result of liver failure. You may notice your dog acting lethargic. Seek immediate veterinary care as Pennyroyal toxicity can cause death in dogs.

Pine: skin or stomach irritation, vomiting (possibly bloody), drooling, weakness, loss of coordination, damage to the central nervous system, and potential renal and liver effects.

Sweet birch: Toxicity symptoms include severe gastrointestinal ulcers, kidney failure, seizures, and death.

Wintergreen: Toxicity symptoms include vomiting due to severe stomach upset and ulcers. Wintergreen toxicity can also lead to renal and liver failure.

Ylang ylang: Toxicity symptoms include difficulty breathing, weakness, unstable walking, and vomiting.

***Also, do not use essential oils topically or directly on your dog without professional consultation, as skin conditions can occur or worsen.  Pets can also ingest the oils by licking area which will cause toxicity.

Please share this story as it may save someones precious furry family member!

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee when I read the header, I could only think of hair dryer diffusers! Haha! I had to read this one! You're very nice to post this useful info for everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read those warnings before and always wondered if they are lethal to our pets, isn't there are high probability they are also harmful (I'm being generous in my wording) to all humans and living things?

To me, they smell horrible! Imagine what they do to someone with COPD or other lung or breathing problems.  

Thanks for the great post and the list, as well @geegerbee @Scorpio1971 . 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@geegerbeeWhen I was a pet owner, I heeded the cautions.  That's an owner's responsibility.

Why does my house have to be pet friendly -  haven't had a pet for 20 years now.

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady 

You're welcome!  I agree that they may possibly be harmful to humans also.  I have asthma so anything with any kind of strong fragrance, whether perfume type or cleaning products, I cannot breathe and have to leave the area.  And cannot be near woodburning smoke...fireplaces, woodburning stoves, and fire pits...just cannot breathe.  So I would just not attempt to use anything or be in close proximity to anything that can set of my asthma.

Respected Contributor

In addition to diffusers being dangerous to dogs, please be aware that all strong scents - candles, etc. tho perhaps not dangerous to our pets, they are irritating to our dogs as dogs have an extremely sensitive and strong awareness of smell.