Super Contributor

Re: Did your vet express condolences after your pet was euthanized?

I have been with my vet for almost 20 years. The practice always sent cards after one of my pets passed.  Last year this vet sold his practice to a Vet Corporation.....so now he just works for the corporation. Things have really changed, costs have sky rocketed. It seems that the personal touch has left the practice. 

I really am not sure what would happen if I lost another pet. I have even considered finding a new vet but it seems that around this area most of the vet practices have gone corporate. I know that I am not happy.....he is a great vet, great with my pets but something is not right in this practise. 

Respected Contributor

Oh, @Belita  -  of all the sweet remembrances of our "fur babies" the paw prints you wrote about is the sweetest.  Knowing the pain of your losses never ends those gifts must be cherished by you and yours.

I appreciate you sharing this memory.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ - I see what you're saying. I guess I'm going by personal experience. I know DH always has checked on the owners after they have had time alone and has talked to them. I didn't mean to say "complain." I just thought she could question it, but maybe that isn't a good idea.

I'm surprised you've had the opposite experience. All the veterinarians I know are compassionate and understand how hard this situation is. I can tell you for sure saying goodbye to someone's beloved pet affects DH too. 

Even veterinarians in emergency veterinary hospitals should have compassion IMO, whether or not someone has been there before (chances are it wouldn't be the same doctor anyway). 

Honored Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

I have been with my vet for almost 20 years. The practice always sent cards after one of my pets passed.  Last year this vet sold his practice to a Vet Corporation.....so now he just works for the corporation. Things have really changed, costs have sky rocketed. It seems that the personal touch has left the practice. 

I really am not sure what would happen if I lost another pet. I have even considered finding a new vet but it seems that around this area most of the vet practices have gone corporate. I know that I am not happy.....he is a great vet, great with my pets but something is not right in this practise. 

@chessielady - I'm going to guess it's VCA. They take over the small practices, then set the rules. You're not the only one who sees this. Try to focus on the doctor you have known all these years. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

Most veterinarians do. And most will let you have some time alone with your pet, then tell you to open the door when you're ready.

In a busy practice your veterinarian might have been needed elsewhere.

You should get a card or phone call in a few days. If you don't hear in about a week to one and a half weeks, I would talk to one of the receptionists and let them know how disappointed you are. 

Depending on how you feel after that, you might have to look around for another practice. 

I remember your post about having to say goodbye to Kalli. I know it's very hard for you right now. Keep your heart open. In time it will happen. Someone else will be blessed to come into it.  (((HUGS)))

I love ya @beach-mom but I would never call a vet's office and complain about the lack of sympathy expressed. IMO sympathy is a gift not a right.

ive never had a vet say anything the few times I was in the situation. Then again I was a virtual stranger as I saw them when I brought in my cats for their shots and not again because mine where strictly indoor cats. When I'd get them spayed/neutered I'd go to this low cost mobile unit and have it done. When they died, I'd didn't have a familiar relationship so sympathy was expected. 

I am NOT going to call the vet and COMPLAIN. I will tell her how I feel. Simple as that.

Your experiences with your pets and vets were TOTALLY different than mine. Youand your pets had NO relationship with the vets. NEITHER  my cat nor I were VIRTUAL STRANGERS. Kalli and my other cat who I still have went to this vet for many years and had many procedures - $$$$$.

Sympathy may be a gift, but a vet who does NOT express sympathy says a LOT about his/her LACK of compassion and INDIFFERENCE. Every animal my friends and I had to euthanize received sympathy cards. The vets spent a few minutes with them to tell them how SORRY they were for their LOSS. 

Trusted Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I lost my baby during the height of Covid.  My vet allowed me in and let me remove my mask and he also removed his. He had taken care of Joey for 16 years and he took his loss from lymphoma hard as well.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shop Till you Drop wrote:

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I lost my baby during the height of Covid.  My vet allowed me in and let me remove my mask and he also removed his. He had taken care of Joey for 16 years and he took his loss from lymphoma hard as well.  

I am SO SORRY for your loss of Joey. Your vet sounds WONDERFUL and CARING.

cat_loss_2013.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every animal I have lost I received condolence notices from my vet . When I use a mobil vet the same... even chewy the online pet food company sends me a condolence letter... they are really sweet ... they always send birthday cards  too.  

Most recently Chewy opened up a main office here in Seattle this month and to celebrate the occasion they made a mural of 11  of the best  customer's pets... I am a huge customer and long time customer... they put my dog Buddy the black lab on the hand painted mural. I was so honored!

mural-seattle-ariel-parrow-full.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Each time the vets have obviously offered their condolences at the time of the pet passing and tells us to stay with the pet as long as we want and then the office sends a card signed by everybody.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Each time the vets have obviously offered their condolences at the time of the pet passing and tells us to stay with the pet as long as we want and then the office sends a card signed by everybody.

Again, I can't edit here and I frankly have no idea how "obvioulsy" got in there.  Maybe it was an autocorrect I didn't catch?  No idea.  🤷🏻‍♀️