Trusted Contributor

Re: Did You Pick Your Furbabies According to Their Color, Personality or Breed?

Breed.  My cousin had a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier and we enjoyed that dog very much.  The breed has a lot of characteristics that helped us decide it would be right for us (non-shedding, playful, medium sized, etc.)  My cousin gave us the name of her dog's breeder and after quite an extensive application process, we were able to get a dog.  We had her for 13 years.  Then after being without a dog for 5 years we got another Wheaten.  She is now 12 years old.  I still think it is the right breed for us. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Annabellethecat66 !  Definitely the breed and by definition the color.  I love West Highland White Terriers (Westies).  Our current curmudgeon is Auggie, with us 13 years this past August and a frequent flyer - he's flown back and forth with us to the Big Island of Hawaii while we lived there 5 years.

384B02CF-DB5F-445B-843F-B8C11443DB96.png

Esteemed Contributor

All of my cats have picked me. Most were found as kittens in my back yard. One tuxedo kitty I found just looking in our back door. She was tiny and wet. Another one, her whole family just up and left her. My last baby I found in the back yard was only 4 weeks old. That's just three of the many I've adopted.  I believe someone in heaven knew I needed these babies, especially my last one. She is definitely a little angel.

Valued Contributor

When we adopted our first dog 35 years ago, I didn't have a specific breed or color in mind.  We went to several shelters and while they all were so wonderful, I couldn't make a decision.  Then there was the last shelter we visited.  Walked through the entire place and there, in the last cage, was a big, red, friendly Golden Retriever.  She jumped up and down when I approached, I looked at her and she at me, and that was it.  We took her outside for a quick get-to-know each other visit, took her home and there she stayed and was loved and adored for almost 15 years.  That began both my husband's and my love affair with Goldens. We are now on our 4th.  The next 2 were American Goldens, light gold in color, and our present is an American/European Golden girl who is white with a touch of gold.  I love all dogs but, for us, nothing compares to the gentle, kind personality of a Golden.

We also have a black cat.  He was brought to our vet's office in the hopes of him getting adopted since his owner had to give him up   He was about 5 at the time and no one wanted him.  Their loss.  I love our little panther and will always want a black cat around.

Honored Contributor

I have had so many over the years.  When I was a kid, my sister started feeding a stray that showed up and of course it was pregnant.  She had a few litters, and we had to feed some that she for some reason rejected.  She even had a two-headed one which of course died within a day or so.  

Then, after I got married we were given kittens or picked them from a litter.  One looked just like a Turkish Angora.  She had several litters and one of her sons actually babysat when she would leave them.  We would pull them out and he would grab them from us and take them back.  She got hit by a car though right after we got her fixed.  Then, another pregnant stray showed up.  She ended up having to be put down, but I kept one of her kittens.  So, I had, I think, two cats from the pretty Turkish Angora cat and one from the stray that was a chocolate point.  

When I re-married my husband got me a bengal.  Later, I got an F2 Bengal.  Funny, the Chocolate Point accepted the F2, but didn't like the other one while both Bengals loved each other immediately.  

After I lost the Chocolate Point and the other Bengal died I thought the F2 was sad and lonely so I got him a brother on Petfinder.com which is a place for rescue organizations to advertise their animals. I looked and looked until one spoke to me.  I love orange cats and this one had long hair.  We drove 2 hours away to get him.  Poor thing was so scared he peed on himself on the way home.  BTW, the F2 was not amused with his new brother.

After my F2 died, I went on a search again on Petfinder.  I really wanted a Maine Coone but it's rare to get a full MC from a rescue. I ended up finding a MC mix (they said) but the catch was they wanted his blind brother to go with him.  So, now I have the Ninja Kitties because they're black.  

I only get kittens because I have always had good luck introducing kittens to the resident cat, and I prefer males.  Even though my F2 wasn't happy that I got him a brother, he never showed any aggression.  It's like they know that they're babies and just sit off at a distance and just watch them.  My orange cat was the same way with the Ninja Kitties.

Honored Contributor

Over the years I have had many cats.  I only chose two.  All the others came to me.  It was a sure thing when one cat dies another cat showed up at our back door iin need

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We waited a few months after our beloved Tom Cat passed, and then I went to the shelter.

I originally wanted similar coloring as Tom, but it ended up differently.  Tom would be a hard act to follow, so I then thought perhaps the most cuddly kitty would be the one.  Nope.   None of them knew me, so there wasn't an immediately affectionate one to be had.

It finally turned out that the lucky kitty was the one that looked the healthiest one to me .... and his name is Bogart.   Heart

Bogey is a domestic shorthair with a tuxedo.  Most tuxedo cats are black & white, but he is charcoal gray and white.   And he has good health insurance.  Cat LOL

Bogey is the four-legged  Love Of My Life.   Heart

IMGP1253BOGEY.jpg

IMGP1252BOGEY.JPG

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There has always been at least one cat in my household since I was a child living with my mother. Out on my own, I have almost always had a cat living with me. They were rescues or abandoned, and always the best pets. A few years ago, after my last cat passed, I lived in a hotel that did not allow pets. I decided that when I found my next home I wanted a Pixie Bob because of their similarity to bobcats. As soon as I left the hotel I found a breeder within a 2 hour drive from me. When I got to her home, she did have Pixie Bob kittens, but doubled her asking price to $1500. Too much for me. She also had Bengals and Snow Bobs. There was a very cute older kitten running around chasing a pencil. He jumped up on the table and ran right into my pet travel carrier. He came home with me that night. He is a Snow Bob, a genetic variant of a Pixie Bob. He is the kitty in my avatar, Xivambala.

Honored Contributor

Like @MarthaStewardess, most of them have picked us! We got a purebred Siamese as a wedding present from DH's coworkers. After that they just came into our lives in various ways! We treasure each and every one, and the loving memory of each and every one who is at the Rainbow Bridge.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Some cats just spray. I had one that was neutured quite young (under 6 months). He still sprayed.

I also adoped one male cat at about 1 year old. He had been caught as a stray and neutured. He never sprayed.

The one that came in as a feral kitty at about 6-7 weeks of age also has never sprayed. I had him fixed at 6 months.

Then there were the brothers my nephew and I adopted at around 6 months of age. I'm not sure how old they were at the time of neuturing, though. And neither one of them sprayed.

My recent cat also was a feral. He hung out at my house until he was about 8 months old. I took him in and had him spayed around 9 months of age. He, also, never sprayed. 

I've been lucky. Out of six male cats, only one sprayed. I'm not sure if being around other cats while growing up and in my house had anything to do with it. But I like to think it does.