Trusted Contributor

Spent the day with our family yesterday...all grown and married with children!!   We got into a conversation about all the pets we had while they were growing up!! We had dogs, a cat, a duck, and a turtle and also a few gold fish!!

Everyone had something interesting to say about which one was the most fun!!   I lean towards cats and we have one to this day, a Main Coone named Fonzy!!   My daughter-in-law said she prefers their turtle because he does not dirty the house and no pet hair!!  Woman LOL

Would love to hear any preferences you have with pets!!

Honored Contributor

Re: DOGS, CATS, RABBITS,......

We had a turtle, mouse and cats growing up.  I prefer the cats.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up we had a mixed GermanShepherd dog that my mother insisted stay outside (Philly suburb).  Queenie Lived to be 23 years old---probably because my mother actually cooked meals for her!

During our marriage, we have had 2 IrishSetters, one 10 yrs. old and the other a puppy at the same time.  While they were outside dogs, we let them in for an hour after dinner.  With their thick coats and the automatic heater set for 50* inside their dog house (which was inside a stucco garden shed), they preferred outside.  Those two setters were real characters !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I'm a dog lover.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

It's so much fun to get together with the grown kids and talk about the old times.

So wonderful that we had the opportunity to share our family life with loving creatures.  We had kitties, fish, a parakeet, and one dog.  Not all at the same time.  Our kids (and their mates) continue to love animals and have numerous pets.  Our two GC are growing up with a dog and kitty.  They both love their animals!

As a retired couple, we have one spoiled puddycat, a Maine Coon named Lily.  We adopted her two years ago, and she brings us so much happiness.  We do love dogs, but at our age a kitty makes more sense.  

Trusted Contributor

We had dogs, fish and parakeets.  Today I have parrots and only one bunny now (had four).  We did have a neighborhood cat who preferred to live with my parents than at his own house.  They cared for him until the end.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

It's so much fun to get together with the grown kids and talk about the old times.

So wonderful that we had the opportunity to share our family life with loving creatures.  We had kitties, fish, a parakeet, and one dog.  Not all at the same time.  Our kids (and their mates) continue to love animals and have numerous pets.  Our two GC are growing up with a dog and kitty.  They both love their animals!

As a retired couple, we have one spoiled puddycat, a Maine Coon named Lily.  We adopted her two years ago, and she brings us so much happiness.  We do love dogs, but at our age a kitty makes more sense.  

Maine Coons are considered to be the most dog-like breed of kittycat.  Cat Tongue

Bless you and DH for rescuing Lily; lovely name.

I'm hoping to adopt a Maine Coon of my own someday.