Honored Contributor

DOG PARKS CLOSED. PETS BORED?

With dog parks closed for so many months, Molly is really getting bored/lazy. It seems even our walks are not enough stimulation for her high energy personality. 

When her daycare reopened, we started sending her twice a week. I've gone through all her doggie "mind games" at home.

Any ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DOG PARKS CLOSED. PETS BORED?

@Shanus wrote:

With dog parks closed for so many months, Molly is really getting bored/lazy. It seems even our walks are not enough stimulation for her high energy personality. 

When her daycare reopened, we started sending her twice a week. I've gone through all her doggie "mind games" at home.

Any ideas?

Why are dog parks closed? 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never used a dog park; we have two small doxies and a large backyard!

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Never used a dog park; we have two small doxies and a large backyard!

Me either.  

I have a big dog and lots of acreage.  I spend a lot of time with her.  She never gets "bored".

Esteemed Contributor

I find it strange that dog parks are closed. The dog park in my area is open and is large enough that people can use it and remain distant from each other.  So far things are going OK and people are complying with rules. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Any ideas?

@Shanus   how about a new puppy to keep her company?  (dodging brickbats)

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I don't have any ideas and could use some myself.

We have enough land that my girl has space to roam, but that doesn't take the place of socializing with other dogs and running around the dog park.  I think ours is open, but we won't take her there during this time.  Can't trust other people always doing the right things (such as refraining from petting our dog) and just feel comfortable taking her for walks on leash.  Sometimes she just looks at me like, "Don't bother.  I don't feel like it. Rather just sit here and have a treat.

I feel sorry for her.  She loves other dogs and people.  I had to keep her (and myself) away from a repairman yesterday and normally, she would have been out there greeting him and getting lots of pets.  I hope this time away from others doesn't change her outgoing happy personality.  It's not just a bad time for we humans.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy   Since dogs are off leash, they assume if there's an issue like dogs needing to separated, social distancing between owners may be a problem. They've been closed for many months here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Molly's personality is that she's queen of the roost. I'm not sure how she'll take to a second pup. Not sure I'm up to training one either.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus : You could find a dog that needs to be re-homed (ask your Vet or Rescue).  Personally I've had very good luck introducing a new puppy or other dog.  If its an older dog I'd keep one crated at first.  Whenever I bring in a new dog I always reserve right to return said dog if it doesn't work out ( that happened one time).  If you introduce either a puppy or a dog of opposite sex, it works best.  Your dog may not be able to go to dog park for many months as Pandemic isn't going away within next six months, at  the very least!