Esteemed Contributor

Have any of you purchased insurance from either Spot, MetLife or Pumpkin?

I've recently adopted a 3yo purebred German Shepherd named Brody.  I've read the different problems associated with this breed and I'm considering purchasing pet insurance as opposed to a Care Card.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Brody and meHeart

Honored Contributor

My dogs have PETPLAN.

In the past, they paid me $8000 for one major surgery my dog had done a vet neurologist.  There were no issues and the payment was quick.

As they aged, the premiums went up...my only complaint.  That might be standard with all pet insurance.  

Respected Contributor

I have Pets Best insurance for my cats.  it is standard for premiums to rise as pets age.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My dogs have PETPLAN.

In the past, they paid me $8000 for one major surgery my dog had done a vet neurologist.  There were no issues and the payment was quick.

As they aged, the premiums went up...my only complaint.  That might be standard with all pet insurance.  

Yes they do up the cost with age.  I once had Healthy Paws but once they upped it from 80 to 156 monthly in one yr - cancelled out.  They told me they also charge by zip code!

I believe the 8K charge; I paid 8K for 1 week in Tufts ER and a home vet chge.    Just the med for syringes (2/day) was 125ever2wks.  Health care for pets is very expensive as well as the policies.  That's why I'm considering just a Care Card.

Respected Contributor

I don't have pet insurance, but I belong to an IBS in dogs FB group. Many are very happy with Trupanion insurance. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have Trupanion for my dog which I fortunately have not had to use.  The renewal premium actually went down a few cents a month.

Trupanion is also the insurance my vet carries on his pets.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

I use to have pet insurance but it got expensive and I didn't have to use it when my dogs were young and a pre existing illness was not covered. Around their age of 5 I opened a separate bank account and put money into that monthly.  I found that as my dogs have aged this money has been useful and yet it's also a savings account.  I put in about $100 - $200 a month and now have a healthy amount for medical bills.  I know this might not be for everyone but it works for me.

My daughter lives in Florida and has a plan with her vet for general health issues - check-ups, vaccines, glands, nail trim, etc included.  I like this idea but my vet doesn't do this.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  Not with any of the plans you mentioned; but we have Healthy Paws since our pup was 6 months (she's now 11 years). Her rates have gone up in recent years but so has the level and frequency of care she needs.  They have never given us any push back on any claim (and I file a lot of claims for her meds, shots and sick visits). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@eddyandme  Not with any of the plans you mentioned; but we have Healthy Paws since our pup was 6 months (she's now 11 years). Her rates have gone up in recent years but so has the level and frequency of care she needs.  They have never given us any push back on any claim (and I file a lot of claims for her meds, shots and sick visits). 

Thanx, Mj12.  I had Healthy Paws, never filed a claim and it kept increasing yearly.  I understand as our pets age, the charges increase, but the year it went from $80/mo to $156 monthly, I got out.  Guess that's why I'm very leary of pet insurance companies.

Glad you've benefited from them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flopsy wrote:

I use to have pet insurance but it got expensive and I didn't have to use it when my dogs were young and a pre existing illness was not covered. Around their age of 5 I opened a separate bank account and put money into that monthly.  I found that as my dogs have aged this money has been useful and yet it's also a savings account.  I put in about $100 - $200 a month and now have a healthy amount for medical bills.  I know this might not be for everyone but it works for me.

My daughter lives in Florida and has a plan with her vet for general health issues - check-ups, vaccines, glands, nail trim, etc included.  I like this idea but my vet doesn't do this.

I've been thinking of that @Flopsy . My concern is what if something happens before I've saved enough.  Think German Shepherds are prone to hip displaisure or things like thatand Brody's a big boy - 6'when standing on his hind legs - that's why I'm considering pet insurance.