Honored Contributor

Mine has recently discovered butter when he found some on a dinner knife.   Now he's always sniffing around for it.

Anyone know if this is okay .... does your cat like butter?  I don't want him to have high cholesterol!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: DOES YOUR CAT LIKE BUTTER?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Mine has recently discovered butter when he found some on a dinner knife.   Now he's always sniffing around for it.

Anyone know if this is okay .... does your cat like butter?  I don't want him to have high cholesterol!  LOL

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Is it butter or is it margarine?  There are no known contraindications to giving cats butter in moderate amounts.  Some "crave" it if they have fur ball because they feel it helps them get rid of it.  I think because of the fat, you would not want to give them a lot.  Maybe margarine is better but never in large amounts, just like milk --- not in large amounts.

Valued Contributor

My cats like butter, cream cheese, ice cream, fruit dip-a few little licks aren't any health concern. They enjoy a treat too!

Respected Contributor

My boy cat loves it...but it upsets his tummy something awful! So, no more butter for him. Cat Mad

Super Contributor

Your topic really caught my eye.  Our cat Callie has a real obsession with Butter.  She knows where we keep it and is right there if we get it out.  She also looks for a knife that is used in the butter.  Other than butter she really isn't interested in "people" food.  (Well maybe bacon) Not sure if it is harmful but we really discourage it as much as we can.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday

Butter, not margarine.  He doesn't "find" much butter around, but I leave a tiny dollop for him on my plate now and then.

Honored Contributor

While veterinarians discourage the intake of human tuna for cats, my cats always ate human tuna.  They all lived to be a ripe old age and I never had fat cats.  I gave them some dry food for roughage each day and a small can of human tuna, not the "junk tuna for cats."  I gave them the tuna packed in water, not oil.  The only surgery mine ever had to have was for sterilizaton and later, some required removal of adhesions from stated sterilization procedures.  Sometimes you just have to decide for yourself what to feed your animals within reason.  All my cats have always lived in the teen to 20 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44@Nonametoday@Wiskota@vermint@LUVNLIFE  Perhaps your felines simply need the salt they find in real butter? We periodically gave our cat(s) a small bit of tuna (packed in water), which seemed to quench her salt needs. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Some vets do recommend butter for hairballs.  Never give margerine - it's not really good for anyone!  

Respected Contributor

My nosey cat discovered butter on a knife.  He licked it clean.  I also found him with his nose in an empty yogurt container and he likes butter pecan ice cream.  He licks the bowl.  I never give him people food but sometimes when I turn my back, he gets a little taste or two.